SGA Learns About Upcoming Elections
Written by Caroline Montgomery
Though the OG Barnard Bearoness was busy attending to Arianna Huffington, Bwog’s own Thursday Daily Editor Caroline Montgomery stepped up to the plate and displayed her loves for both Barnard and democracy when she attended the SGA meeting Monday night. Read below to learn about some of the important items on this week’s agenda.
SGA’s first meeting back from spring break was short and sweet.
The new GSSC student body president was introduced, Ben Padario. Ben eloquently described his position as “the liaison between the four councils.” Barnard SGA is excited to be working with him!
Last night, the Elections Committee officially released the election timeline and guidelines for SGA positions for the 2015 fall semester! The positions that are up for election are the executive board, class council positions, and the department specific positions. There will be information sessions, relaying important information about running on March 31 (10 am-12 pm, 3-5 pm, and 7-9 pm), April 1 (11 am-1 pm, 2-4 pm, 6-8 pm), and April 2 ( 11 am-1 pm, 3-5 pm, 7-9 pm). If you intend to run for a position, you must attend at least one of these sessions. The timeline is as follows:
- April 6: Must announce intent to run (will be shown the formal procedure in information session)
- April 12 at 6pm in Diana 504: Candidates forum (open to the entire student body)
- April 13-17: Voting
- April 17 at 5 pm: Winners announced
SGA has extended the deadline to Thursday 3/26 @ 11:59pm for the SGA Leadership Awards. SGA asks that you, please take the time to fill out this quick form and nominate your peers, professors, staff members, academic advisors, administrators, departments, and student organizations for a leadership award. There is only one submission per form, but feel free to submit multiple submissions. Self nominations will not be considered. The google form can be found here: http://goo.gl/forms/
There were several external updates that were noteworthy presented at the meeting:
- This week is body lovin’ week. There are several activities to attend to love yo self, such as an open mic night on Wednesday March, 25 at 5 pm and a panel with alumna on Thursday March, 26 at 7 pm
- Quality of life survey closes on Friday
- Barnard’s final town hall meeting will be on April 7
- The student trustee dinners are on March 30 and April 7. If you haven’t RVSP, unfortunately, these events are all but sold out
- SGA day is April 17 (yay!)
- And finally, formals galore are coming up. The First Year formal is on Friday March, 27, Sophomore class formal is Wednesday April, 1, and the Junior class formal is Thursday March, 26.
As always feel free to contact SGA with any questions you might have at email@example.com.
Sam pointing @ u via Shutterstock