Housing Reviews 2017: Hogan
Written by Bwog Staff
Rising seniors, this is one of the dorms you have been waiting for. In preparation for in-person selection this Monday, we present the only building that houses only seniors: Hogan!
Location: 566 W. 114th Street, but if you want to order food use the Broadway address (556 W. 114th Street)
Nearby dorms: Broadway, Ruggles, Carman, Furnald, John Jay, Frat Row, Schapiro (if you think that is close)
Stores and Restaurants: International, Bernheim and Schwartz, Häagen Dazs, Strokos, Book Culture, Amir’s, basically anything you want.
- Bathrooms: Private Shower and toilet room per suite, the shower and the toilet are in separate rooms (revolutionary!)
- AC/Heating: No AC
- Kitchen: One kitchen per suite with a dishwasher
- Lounges: A study lounge, TV lounge, and computer lab in the lobby.
- Laundry: Available in 7th floor
- Gym: no gym in the Hogan building but you can use Broadway’s gym in the 4th floor
- Intra-transportation: 1 elevator
- Hardwood/Carpet: No carpet, except in the hallways
- Bike storage: Available in 1st floor but honestly who needs one when you live this close to campus?
- All 26 suites have only singles
- Floors 2-6 have 3 4-person suites and 2 5-person suites
- Floor 7 is a 6 person suite with the Senior RA
- You have to be a senior with a hella good lottery number because these babies go fast
- 4-Person Suites: 30/1300 (2016), 30/2252 (2015)
- 2 in 4 Person Suite w/ RA: 30/2616 (2016), 30/1126 (2015)
- 4-Person Suite w/ SRA on 7th Floor: 30/1188 (2016), 30/2826 (2015)
- 5-Person Suites: 30/1322 (2016), 30/673 (2015)
- 4 in 6 Person Suite w/RA: 30/2826 (2015)
Hogan is probably one of the most underrated dorms on campus. It has the proximity of freshmen dorms with the suite style living of EC without the EC vibe (if you are into that). Also, because it shares the entrance with Broadway, you get the amenities of 2 residence halls in one place.
- “Living in Hogan is really good especially if you live in the RA suites. The lounge is huge (almost twice the size of a regular 4-person suite), and the singles are quite big. There is lots of lighting in the seventh floor since the roof is made of glass. Also, it is very quiet.”
- “It’s really nice if you live with your friends in the same suite. It’s like living in a really big apartment.”
- “Hogan is probably one of the best housing options Columbia offers. The facilities are really great.”