Written by Bwog Staff
May 04, 201711:59 pm 1 Comments
Us asking Ann to let the band in
While 2017 has unofficially been dragging us through the earth for the past four months, we have yet to truly be roasted. That all changes tonight—Orgo Night is finally here! Bring some water and aloe vera to Butler 209 outside of Butler, and apply to burns as needed. See you there!
Orgo Night Spring 2017 by Bwog on Scribd
Tags: 209, ann thornton why are you still playing us, butler 209, CUMB outside, orgo night
Written by Senior Wisdom
May 04, 20177:30 pm 1 Comments
Giving too many fucks or none at all?
Your last senior wisdom of the day comes from Haley Fica, Barnard Physics major and dancer extraordinaire.
Name, School, Major, Hometown: Haley Fica, Barnard, Physics, Alpharetta, GA
Claim to fame: I’m the girl who wears shorts all year long, even in -20 wind chill, whoops. I’m in almost every dance group on campus (Orchesis, UnTapped, CoLab, Raw Elementz, Dance Department shows, you get the point), perpetual sayer of “I can’t I have rehearsal”, and one time I built some parts for a telescope in Chile.
Where are you going? Surprise! I’m not leaving. I’m getting my Masters in Mechanical Engineering at SEAS while attempting to be in a Broadway show.
What are 3 things you learned at Columbia and would like to share with the Class of 2021?
1) Give a lot of fucks, but try not to give too many fucks. Study, work hard, do all of those school related-things, but go have fun too. Go rush a Broadway show, go to the Sig Ep party you’ll probably regret, go to 1020 and ponder the mural and the random movies in the back, ask the boy out. I promise that it’ll be okay. You are allowed to have fun here too and you need to do stuff that is not related to Butler 209 or to your senior design project.
Which fucks should we give, Haley?
Tags: find just the right amount of fucks to give, haley is so cool honestly, here at bwog we are pro colored chalk, humans of stem, i can't i have rehearsal, senior wisdom, so is haley, twyla tharp is badass
May 04, 20175:46 pm 0 Comments
Where Columbia had its first beer seems to have had its last.
Last week, we found out that beloved senior night bar Bernheim & Schwartz is closing its doors. While the real reasons for the closing may be unknown, we have an idea…
If you’re under 21, you’ve probably been told a million times not to go to Bernheim & Schwartz—word on the street is they’re super strict on fake ID’s. The bouncers don’t hesitate to confiscate your fake, leaving you shit outta luck if you only have one copy (or already had your other one confiscated elsewhere). This, we believe, is why Bernheim closed.
Think about it. If you go to 1020 on a Friday night, it’s completely packed. Yes, half the bar is probably freshman, but those freshmen are buying drinks. Underage students are never going to willingly choose to go to Bernheim because they know they won’t be able to get in. Without the population of several hundred (if not thousand) underage Columbians recklessly pumping money into your bar every weekend, you are undoubtedly going to fall behind. Bernheim lost all of its business to its MoHi competitors because they denied all of the underage revenue.
Yes, carelessly accepting fake IDs is a tricky move on the bar’s behalf. Fines for getting caught (let alone legal charges) are enough to deter plenty of bars from letting in minors. But in Morningside Heights, there simply isn’t the backup demographic of 21+ people that you’d find downtown. If you’re over 21 and living in Morningside Heights, you’re either an old professor or a grad student. Professors don’t go out. (Well, most don’t). Grad students definitely do, but not nearly as often as wild freshman (and grad students typically know better than to waste all their money at bars). Relying on a bunch of stressed out, international Columbia Law students to sustain your bar every weekend is a foolish move.
It’s unfortunate that weekly senior night wasn’t enough to sustain Bernheim. Where will the rising seniors go now? Are they gonna move the party to Arts & Crafts? We guess we’ll just have to wait and see. For now, let adults everywhere mourn the loss of Bernheim & Schwartz—underage kids certainly won’t be upset. Turns out it’s not where Columbia had its first beer, after all. RIP BoSchwo.
NOTE: Bwog does not encourage illegal activity of any kind.
Image via BeerGuideNYC
Tags: berheim and schwartz closing, BoSchwo, conspiracy theory, i tried to call them but they dodged my question then told me to call back later, rip, senior night, stressed out international columbia law students, underage drinking!! ah!!!, why did bernheim close??
May 04, 20174:00 pm 4 Comments
Four faces, many names
Women’s Rowing Captain and Senior Fund Co-Chair Laney McGahey shares her senior wisdom with you next!
Name, School, Major, Hometown: Laney, Lanels, Lanith, Lentil Soup Marron McGahey (ps my real name is Elena), Columbia College, Rowing and American Studies, San Francisco, CA
Claim to fame: Sunshine Chair and lucky resident of Symposium Penthouse @Lill @G @Em (thank u guys for everything). Also captain of the Women’s Rowing Team and Co-Chair of Senior Fund!
Where are you going? Today? Definitely Ferris. Tomorrow? Also Ferris. In life? Hopefully somewhere with a dining hall because I can’t cook (but headed back to the Bae Area in the meantime so hmu if you’re headed there too!)
I’m going to give you guys 6 (well, 7) pieces of advice because I feel really strongly about all of them:
1) Appreciate the little things and keep life in perspective. Seriously! When you get stressed, think about how lucky you are and how many wonderful things happen to you every day: you get to sleep with a roof over your head, you can take a hot shower, you can watch a beautiful sunset and sunrise, you get the luxury of learning in a classroom, someone will say hi to you, etc. This is amazing! And rare! Don’t forget all of those little things because they make the big things possible
2) Follow-through is KEY. If you tell someone you’re going to do something for them, follow through with your commitment.
Five more pieces of advice (and other pieces of wisdom) after the jump
Tags: bae area, can we major in rowing?, i miss neopets, im with you on the follow through, senior wisdom, still dont really understand what senior fund is, these are more than 3 pieces of wisdom
Written by Elana Rebitzer
May 04, 20173:16 pm 0 Comments
Doesn’t this cute little mushroom deserve attention?
On the last day, professors like to make some sort of concluding remarks. Whether emotional, full of advice, or just plain weird, we’ve collected some of the best things your professors have said to share with you.
Cute Mushroom via Wikimedia
Tags: closing remarks, cute mushrooms, is something only a bio teacher would say, mainsplaining is real, non cc students here still confused about lithum, when even polisci profsesors start talking about global warming
May 04, 201712:30 pm 2 Comments
Less LED than Lerner
More senior wisdom comes from Wong Hui Yu, CC’s artsy anthropoligical art historian!
Name, School, Major, Hometown: Wong Hui Yu, Columbia College, Art History Major and Anthropology concentrator, Singapore.
Claim to fame: Friendly coordinator of about a year’s worth of figure models in Dodge 501 sketch sessions. Profferer of loose bits of advice in the darkroom on Wednesday evenings. Prescient advocate of some of tomorrow’s loveliest filmmakers, writers, poets, artist-activists…you know who you are !
Where are you going? Back to Singapore and an indefinite summer.
1) Let your friends be your teachers too.
2) The days begin to merge, very quickly, and the small moments get lost. It doesn’t seem like much, but having recorded some of it—what you did that afternoon of feb 3, the look a friend gave you—could be strangely edifying later. For those moments when the past is a blur and you feel you have done nothing.
3) Demanding these years to be the ‘Best of Your Life’ right from the beginning is fatiguing. Be suspicious of this promise and all the things it tells you to perform. Take the pressure off and leave that judgement for later (or never).
Nude modeling and more after the jump
Tags: aqueous and undulating are two pretty amazing words, columbia's visual arts classes are pretty rad, modern dance 1 is pretty amazing, nude model, senior wisdom, that is a great existence justification, that's a lot of favorite classes
May 04, 201711:00 am 10 Comments
So much yellow
Next up on our Senior Wisdom lineup is Barnard’s Alexandra Warrick, famous for prize-winning and Latenite-ing.
Name, School, Major, Hometown: Alexandra Warrick, Barnard College, Film and English, New York City (I grew up by the 72nd street stop.)
Claim to fame: I won the Andrew Sarris Prize for a thesis on Tim and Eric, Eric Andre and Million Dollar Extreme, so you can say I’m Morningside’s foremost scholar on Men Puking On Themselves. I buzzed my whole head for a KCST show and have co-created a smattering of controversial Latenite plays. I’m also “Grayson’s Sister”.
Where are you going? I’ll be around, scribbling.
1) Please, please, please, I beg of you, keep your head screwed on about this extracurricular shiz. So you’re the editor-in-chief of a thing or you’re the lead of a show or you’re the captain of the shebang – okay. That’s great, take pride in that, but try to create some form of identity outside of that, for Christ’s sake, and always be sure to let the air out of it just a little. Don’t be the arrogant kid who thinks their star turn in the Lerner Black Box automatically proves anything, and don’t be the poor sap who scrambles all four years to be the big dog only to be spat out into the world having wasted their time on dominating the kiddie sandbox of campus engagement. I mean, play around, get better, hone your skills doing clubs, but maintain a healthy dose of cynicism as you do so.
More advice and theater after the jump
Tags: cynicism is always important, do latenight, nice acronym for oral sex, senior wisdom, senior wisdom always amkes me emotional, try it, what does winklevoss mean
May 04, 20179:25 am 0 Comments
No matter how stressed you are, just be thankful that the weather doesn’t look like this.
Bwogline: On Wednesday, President Donald Trump met with Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas to discuss possibilities for creating peace between Israelis and Palestinians. (New York Times)
Study Tip: Make a study schedule for the next couple days and make sure to allow yourselves break time! It feels like a waste of time, but it actually really helps.
Music: It may be May, but get a taste of winter wonderland back with Waltz of the Snowflakes.
Procrastination: If you need to pack up your stuff anyways for the summer, why not start now and procrastinate your finals while you do it?
Overheard: “You may have heard of global warming”
At Least it’s not Snowing via Pexels
Tags: avoid nutcracker like the plague, but for those ballet dancers among us, or procrastinate by doing your eyebrows, trust me the memories itll bring up aren't worth it, which is a surprisingly effective method of procrastination, who on this planet hasn't heard of global warming tho
Who has the better hair?
Go back in history.
© 2006-2015 Blue and White Publishing Inc.