Field Notes: Homecoming Edition
Written by Victoria Arancio
This past weekend was unreal. Columbia won the big game, parents and students alike were in good spirits, and the celebration served as a well-needed distraction from impending midterms. Check out what Bwog was up to!
Bwog has school spirit:
- Went to Homecoming and got annoyed at all the drunk obnoxious people, because normally I’m the drunk obnoxious person and they were stealing my thunder.
- Got dinner with my parents after Homecoming and almost fell asleep at the restaurant.
- Got drunk really early into Homecoming, ended up falling asleep to Hercules in my bed at 1:30 in the afternoon.
- Had a lovely boozy brunch in my suite the morning of Homecoming feat. frosé and pumpkin spice pancakes.
- Lost my voice at the game.
- Got blackout drunk on Friday because a boy flaked on me. Was subsequently too hungover on Saturday to enjoy Homecoming.
- Was asked to go clubbing downtown by 45 year old men, back to reminisce for Homecoming.
- Missed the last 15 minutes of the Homecoming game because I was being a responsible travel manager.
The trials and tribulations of Columbia students:
- Wrote a 5 page take-home midterm in an hour! It’s due in a week but I just felt inspired.
- Fell over unto my desk, with my feet hitting the wall, knocking three books off my neighbor’s shelf and giving myself a black eye.
- Spilled water on my MacBook, just in time for midterms this week.
- Got very inspired (possibly too inspired) by the Jhumpa Lahiri event, and wrote a short story in Russian.
- Had fun at dwb but then subsequently spent 2 hours in Butler’s Ref room wasted, trying to study.
- Wrote 2600 words in 3 hours and haven’t stopped bragging about it.
- Skipped all of my responsibilities on Sunday to work on other responsibilities.
- Got 10 hours of sleep on Saturday night instead of doing literally any studying for my midterm on Monday morning.
- Cried for 20 mins while drunk after someone took away a Krispy Kreme donut.
- Waited for hours to get an X-ray of my face that they ended up fucking up. Got fired from my babysitting job because the ex-ray place made me a couple minutes late even though I showed up despite having a concussion.
- Listened to new music until my list of unheard podcasts gave me too much anxiety.
- Saw my male floormate in the literal nude as I passed by because his door was open.
Bwog in the city:
- Walked the Brooklyn Bridge during sunset with my best friend from home who is visiting.
- Spent way too much money on Uber/Lyft.
- Had my genitals grabbed by a drag queen in broad daylight on W14th.
- Almost got into a fight with some rude man at Mel’s but I was with an entire fraternity so he backed off.
- Went to a jazz club with my friend and had to fight to stay awake since last week was so draining.
- Got stopped on the street in front of the Flatiron Building to take photos for someone’s online column on Cosmo Japan.
- Partied with artsy NYU kids, dressed as weird as possible to fit in.
- Went to my first concert with a boy! Not my first concert ever, just my first time going with a boy.
- Slept on the street in the rain to get SNL tickets.
- Gave a blowjob in the shower of a dorm at a university I don’t even go to.
Image via Bwogger Victoria Arancio