Housing Reviews 2018: Elliott Hall
Written by Riva Weinstein
For transfers and rising sophomores and juniors at Barnard, Elliott Hall is a convenient, if small, dorm located on Claremont.
Location: 49 Claremont (corner of 119th)
Nearby dorms: The Quad, the 600s
Stores and restaurants: Everything in the immediate Columbia/Barnard Broadway area: MoWill, the food trucks, Pret, Shake Shack, Starbucks, Sweetgreen, UPS/FedEx, etc.
Cost: Check the Barnard Housing page in late April for the prices of all Barnard rooms.
- Bathrooms: One gender-inclusive and one women’s restroom on each floor.
- AC/Heating: Central air conditioning and manual heaters, though I’m told they get too hot if you leave them on for over an hour.
- Kitchen: Two shared kitchens per floor, on either side of the lounge.
- Lounges: TV/study lounge on each floor.
- Laundry: 4 washer/dryer sets in the basement.
- Computers/Printers: One computer and one printer are located in the lobby.
- Gym: Barnard Hall’s weight room isn’t too far.
- Elevators: 1 elevator.
- Flooring: Carpet in halls, linoleum tile floor in the rooms.
- Every floor has 16 singles and 4 doubles. 8 singles and 2 doubles are arranged in a cluster on one side, while the other rooms are arranged in another cluster on the other side.
- Singles are generally small, but vary in size from 72.8 to 88 sq. feet. Doubles are also small, varying in size from 143 to 156 sq. feet.
- Bwog suggests you look at floor plans before picking a room, as there’s a ton of variety in Elliot.
Numbers: 96 students, mostly sophomores and juniors, with lots of transfers.
Bwog recommendation: Elliott has a bit of a reputation as the worst Barnard dorm. Most of the people who I talked to seemed fine with it, with their main complaints being that the singles are small and that the heating doesn’t work well. The double I visited was spacious and had a nice view of Claremont. If you’re looking for convenience but trying to avoid the Quad meal plan, Elliott is a pretty good option. Keep in mind that most of the population is transfers.
- “It’s either too hot or too cold.”
- “There was almost an electrical fire… but Facilities was on it.”
- “For doubles, the beds come bunked, but you can get Facilities to undo it.”
- “Laundry’s okay. I’ve only had to wait once even though there’s only 4 of each machine for the whole building.”
- “The shower water takes such a long time to get hot that if you brush your teeth and come back, it’ll finally be ready.”
- “Very convenient!”
- “If you spend time out in the common room, it can be very social.”
- “They should tear down Elliott and make a better one.”
- “It’s just really small. But it’s otherwise fine.”
Tags: barnard housing, elliot? more like helliot, elliott, elliott schmelliott, haha ive never been to elliott don't be mad, Housing reviews, my friend rly wants to live here pray for her and everoyne else fucked over by the 6-person lottery