Location: 508 W. 114th St.
- Nearby dorms: John Jay, LLC, Carman. Same block as a bunch of
frat/sorority housesbrownstones and Broadway Residence Hall.
- Stores and restaurants: Nearly everything, especially on Amsterdam. Strokos is basically next door, and you’re just a short walk from HamDel, Artopolis, and Columbia Cottage. Stroll an avenue to the west and you’ve got Broadway at your disposal.
- $8,324 (same as EC, Hogan, Watt, Woodbridge)
- Bathrooms: Two full baths in 6- and 8-person suites, one in the 4-person suites.
- AC/Heating: No AC. You can’t control the heating, so it tends to be hotter than needed in the spring. Steam heating can be a little noisy too.
- Kitchen/Lounge: Each suite comes equipped with a large kitchen, a full-size refrigerator, oven, stove, and microwave. One drawback of the kitchen is its general lack of counter space. The lounge isn’t huge, but it’s comfortable enough for a group to hang out. And beer pong!
- Laundry: 5 washers and 5 dryers in the basement; regularly fills at peak hours. It’s also only accessible by elevator, so even the lower floors have to wait.
- Computers/Printers: One printer in the lobby.
- Gym: No gym.
- Intra-transportation:One elevator that runs reasonably fast, and a narrow staircase.
- Hardwood/Carpet: Hardwood.
- On each floor:
- 1 4-person all-single suite
- 1 6-person 3 double/2 single suite
- 2 8-person suites (NB: first floor only has one)
- 8-person suites are either 3 double/2 single (12 suites) or 2 double/4 single (2 suites)
- Singles really depend on how awkward the suite layout is. They can be as small as 85 sq. ft. (in 8-persons) or as large as 170 sq. ft. (4-persons)
- Doubles range from bad (175 sq. ft.) to okay (200 sq. ft.)
- 4-persons go to all-senior groups who couldn’t get townhouses (or want something closer). Competitive with Hogan, but the singles in Ruggles are larger.
- 6-person groups unable to get EC may drop down to General before looking at these Ruggles suites due to the small size of the two doubles. Expect these to go to junior groups. In the past the occasional sophomore group has landed themselves a 6-person, but expect junior regroup to fix that.
- 8-persons generally go to junior groups, with the 4-single ones going first. They’re a hot commodity; last year the 8-persons were gone halfway through junior suite selection.
- Go with Ruggles 4-persons if you want larger rooms, but take Hogan if you want a better lounge.
- 6-person senior groups will probably be happier dropping into General rather than risk ending up in a 175 sq. ft. double.
- The floorplans of individual suites (even on the same line) vary a lot, so choose carefully!