Where Art Thou?
Written by Bwog Staff
Brr! How those icy winds buffet our fleecy protections and umbrellas! It’d be best to bustle into one of these heated (hopefully) arts-related events that Bwog’s Culture Connoisseur Kyra Bloom has compiled! Submit an event that is near and dear to your heart, or that you just heard about, at [email protected].
- Best known for her award-winning play For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf, Ntozake Shange, BC ’70, comes to discuss her work. There will be a screening of Tyler Perry’s 2010 film version of the play followed by discussion mediated by Soyica Diggs Colbert of Dartmouth and Barnard’s Monica Miller. 6 pm in the James Room, on the 4th floor of Barnard Hall.
- Lydia and Tom finally opens after being postponed due to Sandy. Come support this new musical written entirely by Columbia students Solomon Hoffman and Nick Parker. Tickets are free with CUID and $7 without. Performances at 8:30 pm on Thursday, and 8:30 and 10:30 pm on Friday.
- Visiting creative writing professors Jennifer Gilmore and Belinda McKeon share their work at a reading in the Sulzberger Parlor at 8 pm. Gilmore has written two New York Times Notable Books and a finalist for the National Jewish Book Award, while McKeon’s novel received a Kirkus Outstanding Debut as well as Irish Book of the Year at the Bord Gáis Energy Irish Book Awards.
- Student groups CMTS, CUP, and CUPAL present An Afternoon of Arts, a conversation with NYC’s top theatre professionals. Panelists include Donna McKechnie of the original A Chorus Line, John Treacy Egan, Kate Kerrigan of Kerrigan and Lowdermilk, producer Barbara Whitman, and more. This incredible event has been created solely by CU students for CU students and is entirely free. Come and support these student groups and learn about a career in the arts from those who know best.
- Former teen pop star Aaron Carter stars in The Fantasticks Off-Broadway. Columbia gives us a tremendous discount (from the original $125 to $36.50) to see if Carter can step it up, or if all he really wants is still candy. Hurry up, because the offer ends on November 15.
Fancy flier via CMTS, CUP, and CUPAL