Housing Reviews 2013: River
Written by Bwog Staff
Location: 628 W. 114th St.
- Nearby dorms: Not many. Hogan, sorta.
- Stores and restaurants: Amir’s, M2M, Starbucks, International, and basically anything on Broadway.
- Bathrooms: Four bathrooms per floor; each has a tub shower, sink, and toilet.
- AC/Heating: No AC. Plenty of heat though (especially in the smaller rooms).
- Kitchen/Lounge: Each floor has two kitchens/lounges, one per “suite.” Each has a refrigerator, oven/range, dishwasher, microwave, dining table for four, a couch or two with a coffee table, and apparently “glimmering” flat screen TVs.
- Laundry: 4 washers and 4 driers in the basement.
- Computers/Printers: Computers and one printer in the basement.
- Gym: Four new cardio machines and a TV downstairs
- Intra-transportation: One elevator and a stairwell. Only the elevator goes to the basement.
- Wi-Fi: Yes.
- Hardwood/Carpet: Hardwood.
- Most of the rooms in River are singles of decent size. They range from about 110 sq. ft. to as much as 145 sq. ft.
- There’s one walk-through double on the first floor.
- To grab the bigger singles, you definitely need a point value of 30. The big rooms on the 114th Street-facing side always go first because they’re huge.
- Some juniors are able to squeak in, especially if they’re in a mixed group with seniors. 20-point people, don’t count on River.
- Seniors in General should definitely look to River after the Watt studio singles go. The rooms are spacious, you have privacy, and the location is just a short walk away from Broadway stores.
- If you’re an all-senior group thinking about dropping to General and have a really good lottery number, consider your options on the day of Suite Selection. River is set up like a suite, but if your group wants to stick together, remember there’s no guarantee that other people didn’t already grab rooms in your “suite.”
- 20-point people should look at Broadway or Schapiro and not count on River being open by the time selection time rolls around.
- “Best cleaning lady ever! She decorates for every holiday.”
- “It’s quiet. Possibly even more so than Furnald.”
- “If you can nab it, River is a great, clean dorm, albeit quiet.”
- “Try to avoid the first floor street-facing rooms—they’re insanely noisy all morning due to traffic and general street noise. Also, first floor suites limit inhabitants to one bathroom since they do not have swipe access to the other suites on the floor.”
- “The single-occupancy showers are really nice—and it’s an actual tub/shower!”
- “The walls aren’t amazing.”
- “There are only a handful of RAs for the entire dorm, so they’re pretty hands-off.”