Bwog Sports: Soccer Dominates
Written by Bwog Staff
Spotlight on Soccer
The Lady Lions have been kicking the ball as of late. They’ve also been blocking the ball well (insert sexual reference here). Columbia’s women’s soccer team won their third shutout performance in four games, beating LIU Brooklyn on Sunday. The “W” is also Columbia’s second consecutive home win at home. Senior Beverley Leon (her last name is almost a sign of destiny) scored two of Columbia’s three goals—a season high for Leon—as part of an all-around dominating performance. Natalie Melo and Alexa Yow tag-teamed for a double assist on Leon’s goal at 10 minutes in. Gabby Dubbick was able to sit back and enjoy the game from her great point of view: the goal. Columbia’s D didn’t let LIU get even one shot in the first 45 minutes. Junior Torie Goode and Beverly Leon capped off the scoring at 65 minutes and 86 minutes, respectively. For Goode, it was the first goal of the season. For Leon, the third. The Lady Lions did purrrty well in all facets of the game in notching their fifth win of the season.
Time for some stats!
- Beverly Leon (Sr.): 2 goals (10’, 86’)
- Torie Goode (Jr.): 1 goal (65’)
- Natalie Melo (Sr.): 2 assists (10’, 65’)
- Sophomore Elly McGuffog and Junior Alexa Yow contributed one assist each.
In other Columbia Sports news…
- Football lost to Monmouth 14-37
- Field hockey lost to Fairfield 3-4
- Men’s Soccer beat Fordham 2-0 (Bwog thinks Columbia soccer has had itself a fine weekend)
- Men’s Tennis competes in the Columbia Classic on 10/4, time TBA
- Men’s XC at Notre Dame Invitational, 10/4, 2 pm
- Field Hockey at Princeton, 10/4, 6 pm
- Volleyball hosts Penn, 10/4, 7 pm
- The Lady Lions (5-3-1) host Ivy League rival Brown (you know, the school Emma Watson went to for some time) on Saturday (Oct. 5th)
- Football makes its Ivy League opener at Princeton, 10/5, 1 pm
- Men’s and Women’s Soccer host Brown on 10/5 (Men at 4 pm, Women at 7 pm)
- Volleyball hosts Princeton, 10/5, 5 pm
- Men’s Golf at Army Invitational (But maybe/probably not, since the government is shut down), 10/6
- Field Hockey hosts UMass-Lowell, 10/6 at 5 pm
- Giants lost 7-31 to KC Chiefs.
- Jets lost 13-38 to the Tennessee Titans. While Columbia fútbol had itself a fine weekend, New York football hasn’t been having such a great time.
- Mets beat Brewers 3-2 in season finale, finished 74-88 on season
- Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera officially ended their careers with a 5-1 Yankees win in 14 innings. The Yankees finished 85-77 on the season.
Until next week!
Epic kick via Shutterstock