SGA: What Bwoggers Like To Read About… Money And Bacchanal
Written by Caroline Montgomery
The air maybe getting colder, but that hasn’t stopped Barnard Bearoness, Caroline Montgomery, from hitting up her Monday night hotspot…the SGA meeting. She’s got the goods to report back.
This week, SGA was back to its poppin’ self. With new representatives present and the old still reppin’, there were plenty of updates to go around.
First and foremost, the Barnard endowment proposal application is out! The application allows students to submit proposals to SGA with ideas to better the Barnard community. There is currently a pot of $44,000 sitting and waiting to enhance Barnard! Past initiatives that the endowment funded were the free Barnard thermoses (which continue to be to be handed out. Check Facebook for times and locations!), the Hewitt mural, and the whiteboard wall in Altschul Hall. This is an opportunity to voice your ideas and make a change! The application will be open until Wednesday October 21st 2015 at 5 pm. The final chosen projects will be announced on November 17th. For more information look on the Barnard website and join the Facebook event to stay up-to-date.
Tonight, there was the first of many Bacchanal updates to come. After last year’s Bacchanal debacle (simply search “bacchanal” in the Bwog search engine and 1,000,000 posts will come up), Columbia University is taking preemptive steps to avoid more outraged students. The vice presidents of finance from each school met this weekend to discuss the budget for Bacchanal. It was decided that the Bacchanal committee will receive a budget of $75,000 dollars. A survey will be sent out within the next ten days requesting students’ input on Bacchanal. The questions will range from, “what school do you go to?” to “should students have to pay for tickets?” and “which direction do you think that stage should face?” It is very important to fill out this survey! Without student input, SGA cannot represent your wants and desires!
Things to keep on your radar:
- Dessert after dark is coming back! A survey will be sent Friday October 9th to field requests and will close on Thursday October 15th. The delivery date is Wednesday October 21st from 9-10 pm
- Columbia University Homecoming game is Saturday October 17th!
- Barnard is taking a more active role in this year’s homecoming festivities and will be hosting a homecoming carnival on Thursday October 15th at Lehman Lawn from 4-6 pm.
- The pep rally will be on Friday October 16th.
- The football game will start at 3:30 pm at Baker Field.
- Please please please provide feedback on Barnard’s winter housing policy via this Google Document.
- As always like, follow, tweet, and snap SGA on social media!
Finally, congratulations to the new SGA representatives.
- Michelle Depardieu: SGA Vice President of Policy
- Marlena Eley: SGA Vice President for Finance
- Sara Heiny: Representative for Academic Affairs
- Eilish O’Kelly: Representative for Student Services
- Annika Reno: Representative for Transfer, International, and Commuter Interest
Bad ABBA Reference via Shutterstock
Tags: $$$$$$, 44 thou, bacchanal mayhem has begun, barnard, carol the bear, dessert after dark, fresh meat @ SGA, I'm in love with the hot coco, it's poppin, lemme know what you think about winter housing, lil mama, sga, submit ideas to the endowment