Field Notes: Week Before Finals Edition
Written by Thomas Saenz
Think we would stop going out and doing messy shit with our lives right before finals? You thought wrong. Compiled is the list of things we did, yet again, this weekend. Enjoy.
Bwog in the City:
- Went to a ‘gay art show’ (not my words) in Gowanus. Watched probably the worst dancing I’ve ever seen that’s supposed to be artistic.
- Ripped my boyfriend’s brother’s bong in Ridgewood, Queens.
- Went out to three brunches in three different walk-of-shame outfits (all of which looked even better the next day IMO).
- Confirmed Max Soha is the best restaurant in Morningside Heights.
- Added a full hour to my commute home from my internship through a combination of the 2 train fucking up and my own stupidity.
- Pissed in a bathroom in which I could see myself from three different mirrors, including the ceiling.
- The 1 train wasn’t going to come for 19 minutes so I walked.
Bwog and Food:
- Went to Junzi kitchen for the first time in months bc I wanted pasta so bad and it’s the only fast pasta place I could think of.
- My friends and I agreed to let a man on the street buy us a slice of pizza and photograph us eating it for a school project.
- Got kicked out of H-Mart for filming my Korean project there, but had really good bibimbap in Koreatown.
- Ate at a bougie restaurant with my family to celebrate my sisters’ birthday!
- Went to EC sober for the first time (thanks again Rachel for the sign in :)). Watched my friends get sweaty and laughed as they gagged when drinking straight from a bottle of Bacardi. (does this make me sadistic lol)
- Ate 5 Eggo waffles in one night.
- Ate multiple over a week old stale Krispy Kreme donuts in bed.
- Went a whole day only eating chocolate and a bagel.
- Decorated chocolate with 5 year olds.
- Went to a nice dinner with my dad high. Felt guilty about it.
Bwog Being Wholesome:
- Played bridge (the card game) for the first time in a year.
Spent $10 on the most horrific Christmas sweater I’ve seen and it’s probably the best thing I’ve purchased this semester.
- Went to Bryant Park with my sister/best friend and had Nutella churros.
- Had a heart-to-heart with an alum I hooked up with last year (no, I didn’t hook up with him again).
- Got really high and cried at the Knox Fortune concert.
- Purchased some sage so I can cleanse my room of all the shit that’s gone down this semester.
- Spent the first snowfall of the semester sitting by my open window reading poetry and writing in my journal while watching the snow fall. Wholesome.
- Saw snow for the first time! Forced all my snow-experienced friends to entertain my playing in the snow for hours at a time.
Drunkenly stole a fir branch from the planters because I wanted my room to smell Christmas-y. It lives on top of my fridge now.
- Experienced pure joy when I realized I was getting a bottle of peppermint vodka in Secret Santa.
- Tried to mooch off of friends’ Netflix accounts at 3am but nobody remembered their log-in.
- Turned 21, already drinking less than I was when I was “underage.”
Bwog Being Not So Wholesome:
- Gave someone a jar of off-brand Nutella because their Secret Santa gift didn’t arrive in time.
Venmoed a friend $7 to swim shirtless across the snow on Butler lawn.
Attended a Kingsmen performance to be a supportive friend and regretted it by the end.
- Made out with yet another Columbia jazz musician.
- Spent my “Butler day” reading the Snapchat magazine stories instead.
- Got into 1020 with my friend’s ID.
- Got too drunk for my own good at DWB and made a personal vow to never drink Voda again.
- Bawled my eyes out in the Beta house chapter room (second weekend in a row that I’ve done this).
- Almost got in a bar fight at 1020; watched a bar fight at 1020.
- Hooked up with a guy who’s almost a foot and a half taller than me.
- Moved into Butler and have left my stuff there since Tuesday (I have a target on my back).
- Got a giant blistering burn on my leg from being pushed against (or leaning against?) a heating pipe at a party in a GS dorm.
Restaurants in MoHi are becoming gentrified via Max Soha
Tags: currently dying in the stacks on floor 11 come say hi, honestly fuck the mta always but for real fuck the mta during the snow, I know that I'll hate the snow come February though, I want food now, It was my first time seeing snow and it was so exciting, never been to max soha, off-brand nutella, warning: wholesome vs not so wholesome based on personal opinion, wholesome? we fuck with that