Athena Film Festival Announcement
Written by Lucy Danger
The Barnard-hosted Athena film festival is back this weekend for its 8th year in a row! The festival features the work of women in the film and media industry and highlights those who have helped to increase representation of women in film. Below are some of the highlights and activities most which to look forward.
• Thursday 2/22, 4:00 pm at the Diana Event Oval: The first event is a premiere of the new season of Lifetime show UnREAL, followed by a discussion with cast and crew.
• Thursday 2/22, 7:00 pm at Diana Event Oval: The opening night film screening is Battle of the Sexes, featuring a post-screening conversation with film subject Billie Jean King.
• Friday 2/23, 6:00 pm at Lehman Auditorium: Screening of Chavela, which follows the story of Chavela Vargas, beloved Mexican performer.
• Friday 2/23, 9:00 pm at Miller Theatre: A natural choice for a Barnard film festival, of course, is the screening of Lady Bird – directed by now Oscar-nominated Barnard alumna Greta Gerwig.
• Saturday 2/24, 12:00 pm at Altschul Atrium: The festival this year is featuring two virtual reality experiences – come through to see three short virtual reality programs.
• Saturday 2/24, 4:00 pm in the James Room: A panel called Female Gaze, continuing the conversation about increasing female storytellers in Hollywood.
• Saturday 2/24, 6:00 pm at Diana Event Oval: The centerpiece film is MANKILLER, following the life of Wilma Mankiller, “a community organizer-turned-political leader who defied all odds to make a difference for her people.”
• Sunday 2/25, 12:00 pm at Minor Latham Playhouse: A free screening of Moana! Tickets are free, but RSVP is required.
• Sunday 2/25, 6:00 pm at Diana Event Oval: Closing Night Screening of The Post.
You can find more information and the entire schedule of events and screenings on the Athena Film Festival’s website. We’ll also be covering quite a few of the screenings, panels, and events, so stay tuned!
a cool logo via Athena Film Festival