Thanks to a stellar defensive performance, the Lions defeat Georgetown 35-24 and move to 2-0 for the season.

Technical Recap:

Columbia led in scoring during the entirety of the game. Defensive domination was key to the Lions’ success with Defensive back Ben Mathiasmeier leading the way with two interceptions, six tackles, and a pass breakup. Running back Ty’son Edwards gave the Lions the first score of the game with a four yard rushing touchdown, quarterback Ty Lenhart ended the day with three rushing touchdowns, and defensive back Will Allen ran for a 92 yard kickoff return touchdown. Ryan Young came up with several important rushes to keep the Lions moving downfield throughout the game. Kicker Alex Felkins finished 4/4 on extra points and one narrow field goal miss. The Lions finished with 227 rushing yards and 127 passing yards.

Game Breakdown:

The Lions had an extremely strong first quarter on Saturday. They scored two rushing touchdowns in two consecutive, hard fought drives to end their breakout quarter. Columbia’s first play of their first scoring drive was a 46 yard pass. The offensive coach’s play call for a deep pass showed the Lions planned to start the game off on an aggressive note. Columbia quickly finished their drive with a four yard rushing touchdown from Ty’son Edwards. The Lions defense halted Georgetown, and the offense once again made their way to the end zone after a 63 yard run from Dante Miller. Quarterback Ty Lenhart walked into the end zone for another touchdown. 

Score after first quarter: 14-0 Columbia.

After a frustratingly long drive for the Columbia defense, the Hoyas finally made their way onto the scoreboard. The Lions, however, responded immediately as Will Allen sprinted 92 yards for a kickoff return touchdown. Georgetown pushed to the end zone but another good stop from the Columbia defense on third down led the Hoyas to opt for a 42 yard field goal instead. The Lions hit the post to narrowly miss a field goal in the final seconds of the half.

Score at end of first half: 21-17 Columbia.

Cornerback Fara’ad McCombs set the tone of the second half after he shouted to Hoya head coach Rob Sgarlata, “That’s my ball coach, that’s my ball.” McCombs backed up his trash talk in the third quarter and held his receivers to low yardage. A great defensive third quarter for both teams kept the first 11 minutes scoreless until Ben Mathiasmeier intercepted a pass and returned it 68 yards to set up a short scoring drive for the Lions. Ty Lenhart dove into the end zone to expand the Lions’ lead. Georgetown once again battled the Columbia defense and scored in the final minute of the third quarter.

Score after third quarter: 28-24 Columbia.

In what was by far the best defensive quarter of the game for the Lions, Columbia was able to score after a nearly six minute drive. Lenhart waltzed into the end zone for his third touchdown of the game, a feat that has not been achieved by a Lion player since 2018. The ensuing Hoya drive brought them within 30 yards of the end zone, and at one of the game’s most decisive moments, the Lion defense came up big and forced a turnover to end the game in their favor.

Final score: 35-24 Columbia Wins.

Wien Stadium via Columbia Athletics