The Anwar Hadid of the 600s.
Location: 620 W. 116th St., between Broadway and Riverside Drive.
- Nearby dorms: Being one of the 600s, 620 is next door to 616, and down the block from 600. This building is also very close to the Quad, Elliott, and 47 Claremont, as well as Barnard’s Claremont entrances.
- Stores and restaurants: There is a Shake Shack underneath 600 at the end of the block, and a Morton Williams around the corner. A little further down Broadway, you’ll find Starbucks, Pret A Manger, Sweetgreen. Hex & Co., Book Culture, and Wu & Nussbaum. It’s also incredibly close to Riverside Park!
- Cost: $5,603 per semester.
- Furniture: Every student is provided an XL twin bed, a desk, a chair, and a dresser. Some rooms come with wardrobes, while others have closet space built in.
- Common Areas: There is no building lounge. Some suites have their own common rooms in addition to the kitchen.
- Security: 24-hour attendant at the front desk.
- Internet: Wireless internet access (both Barnard Secure and Barnard Guest).
- Bathrooms: All suites have a private bathroom.
- Kitchens: Each suite has a kitchen with a gas stove and oven, a refrigerator, and a sink, but no dishwasher. Microwaves are allowed, but not provided.
- Flooring: Some suites have hardwood floors, others have linoleum.
- Laundry: Laundry room located in the basement. There are four washing machines and four dryers. Laundry is free in all Barnard dorms.
- Mail/Packages: All students receive mail and packages at the Student MailRoom in Altschul.
- Accessibility: The main entrance is wheelchair accessible. Most suites are also wheelchair accessible, but all suites on the first floor, which have small steps leading into them, are not.
- Intra-transportation: The building is 10 floors. There are two elevators, and one set of stairs.
- Air Conditioning/Heating: There is no AC, but all suites have multiple radiators for heating.
- Four to seven person suites, with a mix of single and double rooms.
- Some rooms in A and B suites (e.g. “Suite 9A,” “Suite 10B,” etc.) have a view of 116th St. All rooms in C, D, E, and F suites are shafted.
- Some rooms on higher floors have beautiful views of Riverside Park and the Hudson!
620 is great if you’re looking to stay in the 600s! While it may not have as many amenities as some of Barnard’s other dorms, it’s in a great location, super convenient to campus and the surrounding dorms. Like most Barnard dorms, there are very few all-single suites, but there are enough singles throughout the building that anyone doing the 6-person or 123 lottery has a pretty good chance of getting one. Overall, if you’re a rising sophomore or junior in search of suite-style living and a decent chance at scoring a single, 620 could be a great option for you.
Resident and Visitor Opinions:
- “I love the proximity to the park! It’s the perfect mix of on-and off-campus living.”
- “Sometimes you can get a HUGE single! The lack of AC really sucks though.”
- “I wish my window view was that beautiful… and that I had a gas burner stovetop.”
All photos of 620 via Barnard ResLife.
@Anonymous This is just false. Haha. My suite in 620 has a dishwasher and is all singles. There are many all singles suites in 620