Bwog’s Engineering Expert Aria Sharma reports from this week’s meeting.
President Tim Qin started this week’s meeting off by relaying information from his meeting with Scott Wright, VP of Campus Services. The package centers are fully updated, complete with kiosks and satellite locations in Wien and Carman to make picking up packages more efficient. Furthermore, all Columbia dorms now have a meter to measure energy use. New projects include renovating the first floor of Schapiro in the summer of 2013 and the possibility of a Bike Rental location at Columbia. For all of us who curse the Ferris Booth stairs every day, renovating them would cost roughly $300,000, so let’s not get our hopes up.
More campus projects include TurboVote, which is being co-sponsored by all four councils, as well as CU Republicans, CU Democrats, and Columbia Political Union. To register, go to columbia.turbovote.org.
Siddhant Bhatt, VP of Finance, spoke about JCCC’s first meeting and relayed that funding requests hearings will start next Sunday at 5:30 PM in Lerner 501. Two new funds, the Travel and Capital Investment Funds will be implemented this year. The Travel Fund will continue on a rolling basis throughout the semester and is intended for club travel needs, such as competitions. The Capital Investment Fund will be available at the start of each year and has been introduced to help clubs with large scale overhauls on equipment. The cost of both of these funds will be split over the four councils.
- Research symposium — September 27th 5:30-8:00 PM in Lerner C555
- A career fair of sorts for researchers. Professors will speak for about an hour about research and lab opportunities, followed by students setting up a science fair for networking
- Lerner Pub — October 4th
- Bagel breakfast for the Class of 2014 – bagels will be distributed on September 20th at 8:30 AM
- “Major Discovery” — Friday, October 12th from 1-2:30 PM in Lerner Party Space
- Having trouble finding your major? There will be speakers from majors and CCE to help you find your path