Audition For Literally Every Theater Group On Campus This Week
Written by Bwog Staff
This is the first week of campus, which means both an abundance of syllabi and an abundance of performing arts auditions. If you were at the CUPAL kickoff last night, you heard representatives from all of the groups talking about these auditions in person, but if you missed it, Bwog has your back. Find out everything happening in Hamilton this week below.
- A Cappella: Several of Columbia’s premier a cappalla groups are seeking new members this semester; these groups include Bacchantae, Clefhangers, CU Sur, Gospel Choir, Jubilation!, Kingsmen, Metrotones, Nonsequitur, Sharp, Uptown Vocal, and Vivace. Auditions will take place Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, from 8 to 11 pm, in Hamilton 304.
- Bach Society: The self-described “fun, funky, and fresh” Bach Society seeks new singers and instrumentalists. Auditions require one solo work, not necessarily written by Bach, and possibly sight reading. Auditions will be on Friday at 2 pm and Saturday at 11 am in Lerner 572; interested performers can sign up here.
- Black Theater Ensemble: One Act Festival: Each spring, the Black Theater Ensemble hosts a one-act festival; this year, the festival will perform four student-written plays on the theme of Afro-futurism. Auditions will be next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (January 25 to 27) from 7 to 10 pm.
- CMTS’ Spring Season: Into the Woods and a 24-hour production of the Sound of Music: CMTS (Columbia Musical Theater Society) is putting on two shows this semester. Into the Woods will be put on in a normal, humane schedule, while the Sound of Music will be put on in 24 hours. Auditions for Into the Woods and interviews for both shows will take place Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, from 8 to 11 pm, in Hamilton.
- Columbia Ballet Collective: CBC’s spring auditions will take place this Saturday from 1:30 to 4:30 pm in Barnard Hall’s Studio 1. The audition consists of a ballet class followed by optional pointe work and contemporary choreography.
- CU Players: “Eurydice” and “Middletown”: CUP is putting on Eurydice and Middletown this semester; descriptions of both shows are available in the Facebook event description. Auditions and interviews will be in Hamilton this Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8 to 11 pm.
- CUPAL Special Project: Abdelazer: Abdelazer is a tragedy by Aphra Behn and CUPAL’s special project this semester. The show is seeking diverse actors of Asian descent and crew members of all backgrounds. Auditions are this Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 7 to 11 pm; the Facebook event doesn’t have a location listed, but we’re guessing they’ll be in Hamilton.
- KCST Spring Show: Hamlet: This semester, KCST’s Spring Show will be Hamlet. Auditions are (you guessed it) this Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8 to 11 pm in Hamilton. Prepare a short monologue, Shakespeare or otherwise. All who audition will be cast.
- New Opera Workshop: NOW will be putting on a full opera this semester; which opera that is will be determined by the results of auditions. Any singers (with or without opera experience) are welcome, and there are openings for creative team members as well. Auditions will be this Thursday from 8 to 9:30 pm, Friday from 8 to 9:30 pm, and Saturday from 1 to 4 pm in Hamilton 716.
- NOMADS: Type B: This semester, NOMADS’ original, student-written play is “Type B,” a “a devised and non-linear story that explores the roles of love and duty in relationships within a modern world.” The production is looking for five women and three men, including one Asian identifying actress. Auditions are this Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8 to 11 pm in Hamilton.
- Orchesis: Orchesis, Columbia’s biggest performing arts group, is seeking dancers of all styles and levels for their spring showcase. There are three audition times: 9 to 11 am this Saturday, 11 am to 1 pm on Saturday, and 9 to 11 am on Sunday, all in Studio 1. Theoretically, dancers should go to a time slot that fits the first letter of their last name (A-H, I-P, Q-Z), but actually, you can go to whichever time slot is most convenient for you.
Photo via 2015 Bwog
Tags: *cough* kingsmen *cough*, check out our reviews of many of these things, good luck to everyone auditioning!, hamilton jokes in 2018? yeah, theater, you should only audition for the a capella groups that don't steal craft beer from someone else's fridge