GSSC: Midterms Edition
Written by Andrew Chee
Tonight’s meeting was straightforward, as the council focused on fun upcoming events after midterms! GSSC Bureau Chief Andrew Chee sacrifices his Butler time to bring you this delicious recap.
Stephanie Jennings, a senior health specialist at Columbia Health Services, was tonight’s guest speaker, opening up a conversation about what students would like to see more of in the Columbia health insurance plans.
Students noted that they particularly desired :
- Affordability, with regards to co-pay, medication, and premiums
- Partial coverage for out of network doctors
- A larger network for out of state providers
- A more affordable dental plan
- Greater transparency regarding insurance policy benefits, termination, and fees
- Additional option plans with lower premiums and higher out of pocket costs
If you have any comments or suggestions for the Columbia health insurance plan for future semesters, you can reach out to Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GSSC President Updates
GSSC has two open positions: Senior Class Treasurer and Community Services and Sustainability Rep. Apply if it seems like it is up your alley!
- Midterms Snack Attacks are still going on this week. Today and tomorrow (October 17 and 18), head over to the GS lounge for breakfast and lunch at 9:30 am and 12:30 pm, respectively.
- The JTS Shabbat dinner is happening this Friday, October 19 at 8:15 pm in the GS lounge and will have kosher/Persian food. For this event, make sure you RSVP on the Google Form provided on the Facebook event.
- The Homecoming Pep Rally will also occur on Friday, October 19 on Butler lawn at 1 to 3 pm. Lazy Halloween will be on November 1 at Mel’s at 7 pm.
- Basketball Mania is on October 25. Prizes include $50k for a half-court shot, $10k for a three-pointer, and Columbia laundry bags. GSSC is looking for a GS student to partner up with the women’s basketball players for the three-pointer shot. You are eligible if you have not played basketball competitively in the last five years, so contact Sondra Woodruff at email@example.com if you are interested!
- Senior Class events
- Oktoberfest on the 27th 1:30 to 4:30 pm in front of East Campus Plaza.
- First Year Senior Year Lunch is on November 2nd in the GS Lounge.
- Lerner Pubs
That’s all from GSSC this week! Check out these exciting events and unwind during the stressful midterms period!
Photo via Columbia Program of General Studies
Tags: basketball mania is even more important, be an honorary baller, GS students are people too, gssc, health insurance is important, insure your health, midterms, snack attacks, snacks will attack your tastebuds, we love student government