Apr

20

We Now Return to CSI: Hartley

Written by

A special late night note: Housing Services’s Laundry Fire Experts have issued a diagnosis for the “small fire” that smoked out Quad residents (including SEAS prospies) on Friday night. “The fire was caused by an overload of clothing in one of the dryers. Many of the items in the dryer were synthetic, which compounded the problem. Synthetic articles, like nylon, should never be placed in a high temperature dryer.” 

Taking advantage of the email to offer even more safety tips, Housing also reminds LLC residents to “please follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on how to properly launder and dry your clothing. Do not place flammable items in the dryers.” And, just to cover all the bases, “please remember to empty the lint screen between each dryer cycle.” You have been warned.

As for the aftermath, “Housing Services has removed all of the machines and is currently working with Facilities to provide the cleanup.  The laundry room in Hartley will be closed until Monday, April 27. In the meantime, the laundry room in John Jay Hall is available for use.” At least it’s good exercise! Full email after the jump.

– JCD, picture by DJB


Dear Hartley and Wallach Residents,

As many of you may already know, there was a small fire in one of the dryers in the Hartley laundry room on Friday night.  The fire was contained and promptly put out. No one was injured.

The fire was caused by an overload of clothing in one of the dryers. Many of the items in the dryer were synthetic, which compounded the problem. Synthetic articles, like nylon, should never be placed in a high temperature dryer.

To avoid future incidents, do not overload the dryers.  Overloading is a fire hazard, and it does not allow your clothing to dry properly.  In addition, please follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on how to properly launder and dry your clothing. Do not place flammable items in the dryers.  Also, please remember to empty the lint screen between each dryer cycle.

In order to repair the equipment and laundry room, Housing Services has removed all of the machines and is currently working with Facilities to provide the cleanup.  The laundry room in Hartley will be closed until Monday, April 27. In the meantime, the laundry room in John Jay Hall is available for use.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.  Please let us know if you have any questions by emailing [email protected].

Regards,

Housing Services

Tags: , , , , ,

9 Comments

  1. Beware!!!  

    John Jay dryer top row, second from left as you walk in. It's on a permacycle once you start it. I just barely saved my clothes from the scorcher today. Then again, if you can hang around to load/unload you can do as many loads as you want for free.

  2. dumb!!!!  

    the person who did it should be expelled from college for being so stupid.

  3. Spotted  

    Nate Archibald is coming to Columbia!

  4. laundry fail  

    laundry facilities here are terrible. macgray needs to get on top of their game. stupid bureaucracy.

  5. hah!  

    good exercise?
    oh no! i have to carry my laundry another 150 feet!

    ...

    • good luck  

      finding an empty machine in JJ with the combined populations of JJ/HTL/WAL being cut down from 2 overcrowded rooms to 1.

      • thank god  

        I did laundry in John Jay the night of the fire!
        now I a) don't have to do laundry for 2 weeks (until hartley is back up) and b) can laugh at the fools who burnt their clothes.

        also: hospitality desk is hilarious during a fire.

© 2006-2015 Blue and White Publishing Inc.