Every week, Bwog will bring you the latest and greatest in your local fruits, veggies and meats so you’ll know which seasonal goodies to look out for. Today – apples, eggplants and foreign meats, oh my!
Greenmarket welcomes Roaming Acres Ostrich Farm! Now you can buy ostrich jerky, filets, steaks, burgers, ground, fresh ostrich eggs, empty ostrich emu eggs, ostrich oil, soaps and ostrich leather products. Apparently it tastes like beef.
- If you have EBT/food stamp benefits, get a Benefits Card and ask the market manager to stamp your receipt every time you spend over $10. With five stamps you’ll receive two Greenbucks, which can be exchanged for fresh fruits and vegetables in the market.
- We’re early in apple season, so check out Samascotts for a ridiculously large variety of apples.
- Find out why eggplants are called eggplants at Gonzalez.
- Wine & Food Associates will be selling wine from the Fingerlake region. Pumphouse Red is a hit and Widow Walk Reisling is highly recommended for a hot afternoon.
- Don’t miss the cooking demo around noon at the GrowNYC tent. Free samples for all!
Mark Your Calendars
Join farmers from Greenmarket for Sunday Farmer’s Supper at Henry’s Restaurant (Bway & 105th) on September 26th from 5pm to 8pm. It’s a three course dinner featuring food from the market and wine from Red Tail Ridge. Dinner is $65 and it will all benefit the Greenmarket’s Youth Education Project. Reservations are required. Sign up at the market or at Henry’s.
The Greenmarket now accepts food stamps (EBT) and Debit and Credit cards.
Update: DSpar spotted buying apples at Stannard Farm stand!