Looking for somewhere quieter but still in a relatively central location? Now what if I told you you’d be in a single? Check out River Hall if you’re a junior with an alright number, or a senior who didn’t get EC!
Location: 628 West 114th Street, between Broadway and Riverside
Nearby dorms: Schapiro, Broadway, Hogan
Stores and restaurants: Starbucks, Morton Williams, Sweetgreen, Junzi Kitchen, Pret, Milano Market, Halal Cart
Cost: Standardized at $9,872/year
- Bathrooms: 4 gender-neutral, private bathrooms per floor
- AC/Heat: none, so bring a fan!
- Kitchen/Lounge: Two common areas per floor. The kitchen includes: stove, oven, microwave, fridge, sink, and dishwasher. Bonus lounge in the basement with a TV.
- Laundry: 4 washing machines and 4 dryers in the basement
- Computers/Printers: 4 computers in the basement, 1 relatively reliable printer in the lobby
- Gym: Small and clean one with a 1 treadmill, 1 elliptical, and 2 stationary bikes, all in the basement
- Intra-transportation: Singular elevator of medium speed, and 1 staircase. Steps in the lobby make the building not ADA accessible
- Wifi: take a guess
- Hardwood/Carpet: Hardwood! Hardwood! Hardwood!
- Facilities: Bathrooms are cleaned weekly, residents are responsible for the rest (kitchen and rooms/ suites)
- Bonus: Small music room in the basement (ft. an electric keyboard)
- 6 floors with 127 singles and 1 walk-through double
- Singles range from 110 to around 150 square feet, with ~30 “big” singles, usually the building corner rooms
- Room layouts vary from square floor plans to longer, more rectangular plans
- River views if you’re one of the few lucky who live in a west-facing top floor
- Side rooms are likely shafted
Numbers from last year:
- Cutoff for big singles: 30/2137
- Cutoff for singles: 20/1454
- Mostly a mix of seniors and juniors with lottery numbers that weren’t terrible
- River Hall is near the Riverside Park and thus, dogs. River is a good choice if you want somewhere a bit quieter but still relatively convenient.
- It’s a quieter dorm, so it’s great if that’s what you’re looking for.
- Good alternative to an EC suite if you get a mediocre number as the singles are pretty sizable.
- It’s half a block to Broadway it’s not that bad, you’ll be fine.
- There’s plenty of lounge/ shared space if you want a bit more of a social atmosphere… it’s what you make of it!
- “You live in a single in a somewhat central location to the Columbia campus”
- “Really close to all food options and supermarkets”
- “Despite the bathrooms not being stall based, I never really had trouble with them being occupied when I needed it”
- “The thin walls can be a bit of an issue if you’re noisy. Just be aware of it!”
All Images via Bwog Archives