Overseen: NSOP 2011 Edition
Written by Bwog Staff
- The most commonly asked question at the information desk was when and where Convocation would be.
- The record number of blue bins one freshman required to shlep all her stuff was a shocking seven.
- At family check in, you can scoop up free totes and badges displaying Columbia family pride.
- RA have been issued two t-shirts, one with a superman symbol and one with their area name. Although many were originally told to display their area pride, it was soon realized that this was very confusing for the freshlings (and frankly us) who don’t know what “The Block” means.
- Green OLs are busy fetching the Give and Go Green loot from storage Brooklyn. They are also handing out waterbottles and getting people to sign up for their e-mails for the third year in a row.
- The 14 NSOP committee members have super fancy head gear to communicate with each other using secret codewords. One calls in with the name “Red Leader 1.” Bwog will award a prize to anyone who can reveal their codewords.
- There’s a new Res Life initiative (i.e. more bureaucracy!) in town. They’re calling it RHLO (“Rollo”), for Residential Hall Leadership Organization. Apparently, it’s “for the overacheivers,” and basically vindicates that one kid who always wants to take over the RAs duties. Currently only for first years, if all goes well the program will be extended to upperclasspeople’s residence halls.
- RA skits were most warmly receieved in the Furnald lounge with shouts of “Frisky Furnald!”
- A sheepish freshperson lingering outside Student Advising asked where 403 is. Her correspondent asked her if she was looking for advising, and then pointed to the sign in front of them.
- A page in the NSOP guide asks you to “Rate Your OL.” Student Affairs is watching you.
Relive the day through this sample playlist (you’ll have to imagine this part, but it was frequently punctuated with variations on “But how will he find food?!” – Mom):
- I’d Rather – Three 6 Mafia
- Paparazzi – Lady Gaga
- Blow – Ke$ha
- At Last – Beyoncé’s version (omgomg she’s pregnant)
- S & M – Rihanna
- Defying Gravity – Wicked
- Since U Been Gone – Kelly Clarkson