All The Auditions (Happening In Hamilton This Week)
Written by Bwog Staff
It may only be the first week of classes, but no day is to early for every single performing arts group at Columbia to begin soliciting new members. Whether you play classical flute, sing a cappella, or love hip-hop dance, Columbia has a group for you — and it’s probably holding auditions this week in Hamilton Hall. Check the list below for a list of every group we could find holding auditions, and check their websites or Facebook events for more information. If we missed your group, let us know in the comments or via email@example.com and we’ll add it!
Update, 9/4, 4 pm: You will be able to find the precise room numbers for many of these auditions in Hamilton Hall, as well as other performing arts info, in CUPAL’s fall auditions Facebook event!
- A Cappella: Auditions for all of Columbia’s a cappella groups will take place today, tomorrow, and Thursday (9/4 to 9/6) from 8 to 11 pm in Hamilton Hall.
- Bach Society: Fall auditions on Saturday 9/8 and Sunday 9/9 in Dodge 404. Learn more about the Bach Society here and sign up for an audition slot here.
- Barnard College Department of Theatre: Info meeting tonight (Tuesday 9/4) at 5:30 pm, followed by auditions tonight (6 to 8 pm, 8 to 10 pm) and tomorrow night (6 to 8 pm). All of this is happening in the Minor Latham Playhouse in Milbank.
- Black Theatre Ensemble: Auditions for the fall production (“Bootycandy”) on Thursday 9/13, Friday 9/14, and Saturday 9/15 from 5 to 10 pm in Lerner 312. No prior experience necessary!
- Columbia Musical Theater Society: Auditions and interviews for CMTS’ fall season (“The Addams Family” and “Spring Awakening”) on Tuesday 9/4, Wednesday 9/5, and Thursday 9/6 from 8 to 11 pm in Hamilton Hall. More info on both shows and what to prepare is in the Facebook event!
- Columbia Ballet Collaborative: Fall auditions in Studio 1 this Saturday 9/8 from 2:30 to 5:30 pm. The audition will consist of a ballet class followed by pointe work and choreography. This semester’s program will include new works by Zhongjing Fang, Silas Farley, Kosta Karakashyan, Stefano Nappi, Emily Schoen, and Eryn Renee Young.
- Columbia University Ballet Ensemble: Auditions for Swan Lake this Sunday 9/9 from 12:30 to 4 pm in Studio 1. All who audition will be cast, no prior experience is necessary.
- CU Players: CUP is putting on two productions this semester: “The Great Gatsby” and “Almost, Maine.” Both productions are holding auditions today, tomorrow, and Thursday (9/4 through 9/6) in Hamilton (“Gatsby” from 7 to 11 pm, “Almost, Maine” from 8 to 11 pm.)
- King’s Crown Shakespeare Troupe: Auditions for both of KCST’s fall shows (“The Winter’s Tale” and “Mourning Becomes Electra”) will happen this week in Hamilton (Tuesday 9/4 through Thursday 9/6) from 8 to 11 pm.
- Latenite Theatre: Latenite is accepting play submissions for their fall anthology! Submit to latenitetheatre.com by 11:59 pm on Tuesday, 9/25.
- Columbia University New Opera Workshop: NOW will hold fall auditions… right NOW! Well, no. Actually, they’re from Thursday 9/6 to Saturday 9/8 in Hamilton. This semester, NOW will produce a collection of repertory scenes from operas by a number of composers, including Mozart, Donizetti, Verdi, and Wagner. See their Facebook event for more information, and sign up for an audition slot on this form.
- NOMADS: NOMADS’ fall show this year is “The Other Side,” a new musical about Beat Generation writers Joyce Johnson and Elise Cowen, written by Eden Arielle Gordon, BC ’19. Auditions and interviews will take place today, tomorrow, and Thursday (9/4 to 9/6) from 8 to 11 pm in Hamilton.
- Orchesis: Audition for the fall showcase this Saturday 9/8 or Sunday 9/9 in Studio 1. Audition times are, in theory, by the first initial of your last name, but the Facebook event encourages you to come to whichever audition time is most convenient for you. All styles and levels are welcome, and everyone will be cast!
- The Pale Blue: The Pale Blue’s fall show is “Once Upon a Fortnight,” a new neo-noir musical comedy by Brent Morden, CC ’19, and David Treatman, GS/JTS ’19. Auditions and interviews will take place tonight, tomorrow, and Thursday (9/4 to 9/6) from 7:30 to 11 pm in Hamilton.
- Columbia Pops: The Pops Orchestra is holding fall auditions this Saturday 9/8 and Sunday 9/9 from 10 am to 8 pm in Dodge Hall. They’re looking for are looking for musicians of any instrument who are interested in playing and/or arranging film, video game, and other popular music.
- Columbia University Wind Ensemble: CUWE’s fall auditions for all interested wind musicians and percussionists will take place this Saturday 9/8 and Sunday 9/9 from 1 to 4 pm in Lerner Hall. Sign up for a time slot here!
- XMAS!: XMAS! is Columbia’s magical winter secular spectacular, here to bring the Columbia community joy, laughter, and holiday cheer. And XMAS! is for everyone! But it’s especially for the people who come to auditions and interviews today, tomorrow, and Thursday (9/4 to 9/6) from 8 to 11 pm in Hamilton.
the promised land (of theater auditions) via WikiCU
Tags: bwog loves cupal, compiling this post got us really excited for all the cool shows happening this semester, doesn't the performing arts community ever get tired, everyone audition for eden's show it's going to be so good!!!, fall auditions and interviews, no day but today, thanks cupal for compiling most of these already, we heard cuwe is especially looking for trombones and percussionists