Jackpot!

Leonard and Louise Riggo has given $5 million to the Department of Art History and Archaeology. $3 million will establish two professors in the department, one in African Art, and the other of the department’s choice. The rest is divided evenly between undergrads and grads for internships, thesis research, traveling expenses, and etc.

Leonard is no John Kluge–and $5 million is no $400–but at least he likes books

Click to show comments

• Question Man says:

@Question Man I’d like to ask: why does it cost so much to establish a professor? Why millions of dollars? Please explain, thanks!

Oh and Riggio donated $10 to my highschool, which he graduated from. So I guess he gives some money, here and there. He’s on our wall of fame, haha.

1. Alum says:

@Alum Theoretically, the income from the endowment pays the professor’s salary and benefits, and covers some research and travel costs. $3 million will generate about $135,000 in the first year and will increase over time while hopefully staying ahead of inflation. $135K isn’t enough to cover all the expenditures I listed, so if anything the amount Columbia seeks is too low.

• I'm glad says:

@I'm glad I’m an art history major.. yay

• I think says:

@I think Whoever made comment #3 isn’t really a First Year, which, commenters #4 and #5, would make you both extremely dense.

• Alum says:

@Alum Fwiw, the $3M Riggios (note the correct spelling, Bwog) gave for the professorships was matched by another $3M from Gerry Lenfest’s challenge gift. That effectively turns the $5M into $8M for the art history department.

1. buy one prof says:

@buy one prof get one free?

• And how much says:

@And how much money has the Department of Victimology, Whining, and Anti-Oppressment training raise?

1. First Year says:

@First Year I don’t think there is a Department of Victimology, Whining, and Anti-Oppressment training.

1. EAL says:

@EAL Clearly, you are a first-year. Otherwise, you might have understood #2’s comment.

2. hahaha says:

@hahaha you made my day

3. wirc says:

@wirc I believe that the DVWAO was merged into the Linguistics department this summer.

• EAL says:

@EAL African art, you say? Well I hope this satisfies the demands of those people calling for an ethnic studies department once and for all.

And yeah, more money for Columbia is always good!

• Ad