Sidewalk evangelism

If you’re coming out of the 116th Street subway stop, be prepared to be serenaded and accosted by some Bible studiers singing melodiously, wielding an array of folk instruments and distributing colorful fliers with butterflies on them.

Pop LitHum quiz: They quote from the one non-synoptic Gospel, which one is it?

band

• MDI says:

@MDI I fail to see how people singing is intolerant….

• MDI says:

@MDI Tolerance ftw…

I hope i’m not the only one who sees the irony.

1. but says:

@but is it wrong to be intolerant of intolerance? Because these monkeys don’t seem keen on sharing heaven-space.

@Anonymous How repulsive, proselytizing.

• praise jesus! says:

@praise jesus! for his infinite wisdom and grace

1. and says:

@and his killer dance moves.

• err says:

@err vampire weekend sucks.

• *** says:

@*** whether not where.

• one of these says:

@one of these people apprehended me on a downtown train. Despite being a random guy without any CU insignia or other clues as to my identity, his first question was where i’m a columbia student. Being stupid enough to reply affirmatively, I was then given a lecture on how studying the Bible can give me unknown levels of “satisfaction” in life. He must’ve instilled some fear of Jesus in my shlemazel heart, though, because I restrained myself from telling him precisely where he can go to fuck himself.

• ... says:

@... i swear… lunatics and this place are like moths and lightbulbs.

• HOLY SHIT says:

@HOLY SHIT Amy Adams will be hosting SNL next week with VAMPIRE WEEKEND.

• anyone says:

@anyone remember that woman with the “only true catholics get into heaven” sign by the gates? i wanted to punch her.

1. I do says:

@I do It made me laugh. Everyone knows only disciples of the Flying Spaghetti Monster get into heaven.

2. gaytheist says:

@gaytheist Actually, that statement is inherently contradictory, since the Second Vatican Council decreed that Catholicism was absolutely _NOT_ the only true Church. In fact, preachers like Leonard Feeney (sp?) were excommunicated for saying exactly that.

1. noooo! says:

@noooo! Mr. Feeny was excommunicated?! Who’s going to teach Cory Matthews the ways of life (in a spiritual manner?) now?!

• o logos says:

@o logos John

• EAL says:

@EAL They are annoying to be sure, but more tolerable than the ISO.

• lit hum says:

@lit hum 12 years of catholic school taught me that john is not one of the synoptic gospels

1. And says:

@And Twelve years of public school taught me that unless it’s in the Pledge of Allegiance, it doesn’t matter.

1. And then... says:

@And then... Seven years of C.C.D. taught me that even if God -might- be able to love me, my parents certainly don’t, since they sent me to public school.

• ... says:

@... these people make hippies seem pleasant.

• ugh. says:

@ugh. they’re so fucking annoying. they’ve been doing this almost every weekend since the summer (and bwog just noticed them)?

• Eddie Izzard says:

@Eddie Izzard The Gospel according to St. Bastard.

More inaccurate sensationalism. Columbia will be using and taking bids from Union and non union construction workers. https://neighbors.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/content/MWL%20Reports/Pavarini%20McGovern%20Bid%20Opportunity%20Residential%20Building.pdf (read more)
    Columbia To Use Non-Union Labor For Manhattanville Dorm Construction, Carpenters Union (NYCDCC) Protests
    September 25, 2020
    Columbia should choose the best and the brightest students with the most potential without regard to race, creed, color, religion. (read more)
    What Should CU’s Admissions Criteria Really Be
    September 25, 2020
    The love of Columbia. (read more)
    What Keeps Low Fountains Erect?
    September 24, 2020
    “Lowe” (read more)
    What Keeps Low Fountains Erect?
    September 24, 2020