Copy Edit

Student Walkout Planned in Solidarity with Occupy Wall Street

With the Occupy Wall Street movement gaining momentum and national attention, Columbia students and faculty alike have been getting involved.  CU Activists is planning on taking it a step further with a campus-wide walkout of classes at 3:30 pm today. In addition to the current talking points (economic inequality, lack of proper Wall Street regulation, etc.), today’s march aims to draw attention to rising tuition rates and student debt.

The walk-out will is being organized in unison with similar walkouts at SUNY and CUNY campuses. Columbia organizers will be taking questions in front of Butler from 11am to 4pm today. Here are the details from their Facebook event page:

“We will meet outside campus gates and take the subway down to City Hall, where we’ll join the Community/Labor March in Solidarity with Occupy Wall Street, endorsed by dozens of NYC unions and community groups including the United Federation of Teachers, SEIU 32BJ and SEIU 1199, the Transit Workers Union Local 100, Make the Road New York, New Yorkers Against Budget Cuts, the Alliance for Quality Education, and more!”

Spotted flyer tipped by Caitlin Watson

• Very for free speach but... says:

@Very for free speach but... I wish when protestors gathered together in such a publicized and potentially effective way they would try to promote more knowledge of what you want or what you are even protesting. Some of the signs I see at the protests have included “End Globalism” and “Industrial society-murder” and “nazi wall street”. So please, be part of the effective protestors!! not the ones tainting the credibility of the protest

@Anonymous I like you despite your egregious spelling errors

@Anonymous I don’t always mace innocent protesters, but when I do, they are women.

@Anonymous I don’t always mix memes, but when I do, I drink my own piss.

@Anonymous i dont always drink beer, but when i do i beat my wife

@Anonymous I don’t always, but when I do, I accidentally the whole thing.

@Anonymous I don’t always do the hokey pokey and turn myself around, but when I do, that’s what it’s all about!

@Anonymous ^above 4chan nerd having conversation with himself

@Anonymous Yo dawg I put a conversation in a conversation so you could have a conversation while having a conversation

@Anonymous True that, it’s only 1 person! Look at the time between posts! LOL!

@Anonymous Or its two people online at the same time like right now^

• jk says:

@jk maybe that one guy can write an oped in spec again about how fantastic it feels to be part of a mob.

@Anonymous god their opeds are terrible

• Hey! says:

@Hey! Don’t step on any homeless people on the way!

• Cartman says:

@Cartman Lame

• Columbia wont protest says:

@Columbia wont protest because they are the people that are being protested against. Just children and their trends who will go back to their mac book pro after yelling about inequality.

–James Harvard Dean

• huh says:

@huh People pay how much to go to school here and cut classes? Makes all the financial aid awards seem worth it.

Oh, and, by the way, the labor unions, especially the public ones (that’s you SEIU) are also part of the problem with the country’s economic situation.

1. Oh lord says:

@Oh lord Not ANOTHER naive and uninformed anti-union person.

@Anonymous have you ever wondered why Columbia’s food service and custodial services are less efficient than those at other schools… especially those in right-to-work states?

2. Me says:

@Me People cut classes all the time to sleep, get silly drunk, and even dress up in a green suit and walk around campus. But now when people do it to make a statement and participate in something meaningful it becomes a problem? I know you didn’t state explicitly whether you care about the difference I made above but I don’t see you whining when theres a bwog post about playing hookey.

@Anonymous http://tequilasovereign.blogspot.com/2011/10/manna-hata.html

I realize that the protests are not for Native American rights, but this was brought up in class today and we should not forget the history of the space

@Anonymous jesus. fuck your blogspot blog

@Anonymous Lol @ CDS

• What we need says:

@What we need is educated minds, not irritated adolescents. These are significant, nuanced problems that this country is facing and ditching class to complain will not do anything meaningful. Stay in class, learn as much as you can, and change things for the better in a substantive manner.

@Anonymous Ah yes, the “angry kids” stereotype – way to make sure that no one will take their good ideas seriously!

1. well... says:

@well... nothing plays more into the kiddie stereotype than the impulse to ditch school like Ferris Bueller.

@Anonymous oh yeah! great idea! wait until you graduate, then go to grad school, then get through the meaningless-entry-level-position phase, then get an awesome job where you can actually make a difference. BUT WAIT. Now you have kids! and bills to pay! and so many other responsibilities! No way you’re to risk everything now… what difference can one person make anyway…?

Fuck that dude, if you have the privilege to protest and you care about this, go do something about it now.

3. are you serious says:

@are you serious Because the answer to America’s glaring inequality problem was going to be discussed today, and only today, between 2:40 and 3:55, in Fayerweather. No latecomers allowed.

If skipping class one time turned everyone into a slack-jawed idiot, everyone who ever took Econometrics would be a mindless zomb….NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

@Anonymous if i have an exam is this a good enough reason to leave and not take it?

@Anonymous why not take it and head downtown afterwards?

@Anonymous because he/she doesn’t want to take it, obviously. good question.

@Anonymous If these protestors were worth their salt, they’d walk downtown rather than using the MTA and thereby supporting an institution that stands against their values…

@Anonymous Er, except they aren’t protesting subsidized public mass transit. That would be, say, the tea party. These folks are basically the opposite of it.

@Anonymous subsidized? what you talkin’ about willis?

• Philosoraptor says:

@Philosoraptor If I don’t have class, can I still participate in a walk out?

@Anonymous gg no re noobs.