Copy Edit

Senior Wisdom: Todd Nelson

Todd NelsonName, Hometown, School, Major: Todd Nelson, Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  Double Major in Environmental Science and American History

Claim to Fame? Worked with some great friends building the Columbia environmental community (<3<3<3), CUE leader

Where are you going? I’m part of the inaugural Venture for America class (holla at CU fellows Derek Turner and Jim Kahmann!!) so for the next 2 years I’ll be working in renewable energy entrepreneurship.

Three things you learned at Columbia:

1. I learned how to respect others and receive criticism- One of the great things about coming to Columbia is that your big head gets deflated after kicking everybody’s ass in high school with how great you are at everything (amirite?).
  2. I learned what I like to do: Turns out it’s what I had already been doing on campus- start and build organizations to solve environmental problems- in the real world, that’s called green start-ups.
  3. I’ve learned what loyalty looks like and what betrayal looks like, how good friends treat you when you need it, and how people like to be treated. Advice from me to you- learn what these look like for you, it’s different for everyone.

“Back in my day…” NoNoCo – and Pinnacle baked ziti. Uni Caf*ck that.

Justify your existence in 30 words or less: I think big, therefore I am.

Is the War on Fun over? Who won? Any war stories? The theory on the War on Fun, by my suitemate John Ox, crushes all theories on the War on Fun. Read it and free yourselves.

Would you rather give up oral sex or cheese? I haven’t eaten meat in 4 years. Cheese is no biggie. My loyalty remains firmly with oral sex.

Advice for the class of 2016: Build something or work with others to build something – whether it is a community on campus, a student organization, a project, or a cause – is the most useful thing you can ever do for yourself and your future.

Also, Mondel’s chocolate, GO THERE. Bring your mom there. Bring your girl/boy/person-friend there. — 114th right next to Amir’s!

Any regrets: I didn’t go to the Varsity Show until my junior year, and then I did. And I regretted not going the first two years.

• CC'12 says:

@CC'12 Todd is adorable and great. and adorable.

• Alexander says:

@Alexander I wish I had done more to stay friends with you Todd, you made CUE–my first week in the US–awesome. I’ll never forget the faith and good humour you showed in being led, blindfold, across the city. Go on to great things.

@Anonymous that “theory” about the war on fun is one of the dumbest things i have ever read

@Anonymous This guy is gonna change the world. Thanks for being an inspiration, Todd. Your presence will be missed on this campus!

@Anonymous you are awesome, Todd! go change the world!

@Anonymous GREATEST GUY IN THE WORLD.

@Anonymous Such a powerhouse! But also very sweet. Todd, don’t forget to stop and do something totally spontaneous once in a while….

@Anonymous Todd not only talks the talk on environmental issues, he totally walks the walk. Not everyone practices what they preach. Good luck with your green start-up(s)!

• Mondel's chocolate... says: