Actual Wisdom: Robert Farrauto

columbia blue

Bob Farrauto

Happy Thursday. For our next Actual Wisdom we bring you Robert Farrauto, who has chosen to answer in all caps.

Justify your existence in 30 words or fewer: I AM A HAPPY FATHER, HUSBAND GRANDFATHER AND A TEACHER OF GREAT COLUMBIA STUDENTS.

Claim to fame: I REALLY RESPECT AND ENJOY BEING WITH THE STUDENTS AND TEACHING THEM ABOUT THE REAL INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING WORLD.

What’s your most valuable or unexpected college experience? SHARING MY 40 YEAR INDUSTRIAL CAREER WITH SO MANY TALENTED COLUMBIA STUDENTS

Back in my day… (what has changed at Columbia?): NOW INDUSTRIAL TRAINED ENGINEERS HAVE AN IMPORTANT PLACE IN THE UNIVERSITY.

What’s the craziest student excuse/extension story you’ve heard? MY GIRL FRIEND DUMPED ME SO I WAS NOT IN THE MOOD TO FINISH YOUR TAKE HOME EXAM.

Would you rather give up tenure or cheese? I WOULD GIVE UP TENURE SINCE IT MAKES MANY PROFESSORS TOO RELAXED AS THEY AGE. SOME CHEESE AND WINE GETS BETTER WITH AGE.

Three things you learned at Columbia:

1. STUDENTS WANT TO LEARN HOW THEIR EDUCATION APPLIES TO THE REAL WORLD
  2. TENURE IS A CURSE ON ALL LEVELS OF EDUCATION
  3. PROFESSORS NEED TO SPEND MORE TIME GETTING TO KNOW THE UNDERGRADUATES.

What’s your advice to students/academics/the human race in general? BE PASSIONATE ABOUT YOUR WORK AND RESPECT ALL WITH WHOM YOU INTERACT.

@Anonymous CAPSLOCK DOE

• lmfao says:

@lmfao “MY GIRL FRIEND DUMPED ME SO I WAS NOT IN THE MOOD TO FINISH YOUR TAKE HOME EXAM.”

• I fucking says:

@I fucking died before I made it to the second word

• ANONYMOUS says:

@ANONYMOUS FARRAUTO APPARENTLY USES A COMPUTER FROM THE 1970S TO SEND HIS EMAILS.

1. ANONYMOUS says:

@ANONYMOUS ALSO, DAT ALL CAPS CAPTCHA http://cl.ly/image/383k3J3H3G3d/content

• tenure or cheese? should read says:

@tenure or cheese? should read “I WOULD GIVE UP ORAL SEX SINCE IT MAKES MANY PROFESSORS TOO RELAXED AS THEY AGE. SOME CHEESE AND WINE GETS BETTER WITH AGE.”

• EEE says:

@EEE #BOB

• ???? says:

@???? This “actual wisdom” is a bigger joke than Industrial Engineering.

• CAPZ LOCK says:

@CAPZ LOCK CRUISE CONTROL 4 K00L

• SEAS '16 says:

@SEAS '16 Would you rather give up tenure or cheese?

Aw that decline of Bwog.

• EEE A MAJOR? says:

@EEE A MAJOR? YOOOOO WE JUST GOT BOBBED. #REALTALK

• SEAS '14 says:

@SEAS '14 Professor Farrauto is NOT a professor in Industrial Engineering. He is a Professor of Practice in the Earth and Environmental Engineering Department and has a background in Chemical Engineering. As for the “industrial” aspect, he worked in the catalysis industry for 40 years and was integral in the development of catalytic converters.