Free And Inexpensive Ways To Beat The Winter Blues In NYC
Welcome back from winter break! While the days of relaxing in warm and sunny places or skiing in fresh snow are gone, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy yourself in the city during the winter. This Bwogger found the best deals for beating the winter blues in New York City.
For Museum Lovers
- First Fridays at The Frick: College students get into The Frick for free on the first Friday of every month! We college students love the word “free.”
- 1-cent days at the Whitney Museum of Art: Explore your artistic desires in one of the best cities in the world at the Whitney! On Friday, January 31 from 6:00-9:00 pm, it costs only 1 cent to enter the museum.
For Snow Days
- Winter Jam snow sports in Central Park: On Saturday, February 1 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, enjoy free skiing, snowshoeing, sledding, and ice bowling during Winter Jam. The Central Park bandshell area will be covered with blown-in snow, so feel free to bring equipment or borrow it for free.
- Free Frost Fest Winter Festival in Bryant Park: Daily from January 25 to February 3 have fun with bumper cars on ice, food and drinks, and more!
For Cultural and Religious Exploration
- Holi in the City – The Festival of Colors: On Saturday, March 7 and Saturday, March 14 at 12 pm, celebrate Holi and learn about the festival of colors, a Hindu holiday.
- Free Lunar New Year parade and festival: Explore Chinatown and Chinese culture on Sunday, February 9 from 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm for this annual event.
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade: On Tuesday, March 17 from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm on 5th avenue, come out to watch the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and be Irish for a day.
- Ben & Jerry’s Free Cone Day in NYC: On Thursday, April 9 at 12:00 pm, Ben & Jerry’s will give out a free cone to each customer in its locations in New York City.
For When Spring Arises
- Cherry Blossom Festival: Get a preview of summer’s upcoming beauty with the cherry blossom trees in bloom in beautiful Central Park! The festival begins on Thursday, April 30. This is a great opportunity to relieve stress and take a stroll in the park.
- Pillow Fight in the Park: On Saturday, April 4 from 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm in Washington Square Park, you can have a giant pillow fight with friends or strangers!
Let white snow and the lighted city brighten your day with the fun festivities this semester!
when will warm weather return from the war via Tyler Karaszewski//Flickr