Welcome back to Science Fair, Bwog’s weekly roundup of science events happening around campus. As always, email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want your event featured.
A Quest to Repurpose Agricultural Support
- Tuesday, September 19, 2023, 10 am – 12 pm.
- Lerner 555 + Online. Registration required.
- “Join the Food Systems Economics Commission (FSEC), Columbia Climate School, and IFPRI during New York Climate Week for an interactive discussion on the benefits and trade-offs policymakers must consider to design agricultural support policies that can ensure an inclusive, health-enhancing, and environmentally sustainable food system.” The event is followed by coffee at 11:30 am. More information here.
Climate Actions in Fashion: Policy, Business, and Innovation
- Tuesday, September 19, 2023, 11 am – 12:30 pm.
- Online. Registration required.
- A panel of experts within the fashion industry, including Dr. Anna Kelles, Sarah Kent, Tiago Valente, and Neeka Mashouf, “will share insights covering various aspects, including policymaking, innovative materials, sustainable design, and business practices. The discussion will revisit recent notable developments and identify future opportunities to help the fashion industry become beautiful, sustainable, and responsible at the same time.” More information here.
- Tuesday, September 19, 2023, 5 pm.
- Lerner 569.
- Join EcoReps at their First General Body Meeting of the year! If you’re interested in “implementing green initiatives on Columbia’s campus,“ EcoReps is the group for you! More information here.
Climate Week NYC: Building a Greener Planet
- Thursday, September 21, 2023, 12 -1:30 pm.
- The Forum at Columbia University 315. Registration Required.
- Jewelry designer Jianhui Yan is joining Columbia Climate School to present his designs worn by “style icons such as Iris Apfel and celebrities like Lily Tomlin” and found in museums such as MoMA and the Museum of Art and Design in NYC. “Jianhui has been creating versatile sustainable fashion from recycled and upcycled materials for almost two decades.” More information here.
13th Annual Hilltop Conference: Current Topics in Environmental Public Health
- Friday and Saturday, October 6 – 7, 2023
- Lerner 555. Registration required by Tuesday, September 26, 2023.
- Join GlobeMed at Columbia in their two-day event full of speakers, panels, networking events, and dinners. “Speakers from the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, NYU School of Global Public Health, Rutgers School of Public Health, and more will discuss their research in the form of talks and panels.” All proceeds will go to GlobeMed’s partner organization Gulu Women’s Economic Development & Globalization (GWED-G) in Gulu, Uganda. More information here.
Image via Columbia Climate School