Bwog Asked: What’s Keeping You Up At Night?
Written by Bwog Staff
Last night, Bwog procrastinated from its various papers by conducting another Bwog Asked on unsuspecting library-goers, this time asking the ambiguously ominous question, “What keeps you up at night?” Here’s a sampling of some of our results, along with an unexpectedly detailed conversation about grease.
- Boy constructing cheatsheet in 210: Wet dreams. Get it?
- 209 A: Stimulants.
- 209 B: Remembering how much work I have to do.
- Girl on Facebook in 202: Thinking about all of the work I should be doing instead of sleeping. My sleep schedule is pretty reversed right now. I’m basically nocturnal.
- Boy in 303 with a million papers in front of him: This is going to sound boring, but work.
- Girl in 303 working on a lab report: Too much silence or too much noise. Either/or.
- 303b alcove denizen: *taps coffee cup*
- Two boys studying in 3rd floor hallway: 1: Caffeine. 2: Prospects of failing out of college.
- Ref room A: I took a 4-hour nap.
- Ref room B: I just work better at night.
- 310 alcove A: Caffeine.
- 310 alcove B: Studying.
- Girl studying in stairwell: Finals.
- Two girls in 4th floor study room: 1. Music and giggles. 2. Starbucks mocha frappuccinos and prayer.
- Very sweet boy in 403: I have an exam tomorrow morning and a presentation in the afternoon, so I feel like I should stay up and prepare for it. How many finals do you have left?
- 5th floor boy in a room all to himself: Just caffeine.
- Very sweet girl in 504: (giggles) I’m almost failing everything! How about you?
- Two 6th floor studious girls: 1. Coffee. 2. Having this due tomorrow!
Two loud-speaking senior boys in the lounge:
[Bwog] “Like the country or the musical?”
“I meant the grease in this [HamDel] sandwich. But I guess also the country. He actually lived in Greece for a while (points to other guy)”
[Bwog] “Like the country or the thing?”
“Like sandwich grease. I put him in a vat of grease for a while. That keeps me up at night.”
From here the conversation evolved to points including, but not restricted to:
- The apartment they stayed in over the summer in Astoria, run by a paranoid old Greek woman, where they lived in literal grease and were forced to sing Rudolf the Red-Nose Reindeer. She keeps them up at night sometimes. They’re convinced she’s still following them and listening to everything they’re saying. That keeps them up at night.
- Leitmotifs. The leitmotif of grease in this conversation. Studying music. The papers they’re writing about Proust (and music). Leitmotifs keep them up at night sometimes.
- Puccini is really anti-feminist. [that’s keeping Bwog up right now] Weezer’s Pinkerton album (it’s a concept album based on Madame Butterfly). Not understanding entirely how Pinkerton the album relates to B.F. Pinkerton (the Butterfly character) keeps them up at night. How weird Rivers Cuomo is keeps them up at night.
- One of their aunts. She’s “fine.” Just “fine.” She keeps him up at night sometimes.
- Religion. Raising children the right way so it doesn’t backfire. This keeps them up at night sometimes.
- One of them just applied to grad school. Those applications kept him up at night for a bit.
- Not caring about these papers because they’re seniors. That keeps them up at night sometimes (both the apathy and the fact that they have to finish these papers).
- But, essentially, it’s the HamDel grease.
Just for reference, Bwog’s answer to our own Bwog Asked is water. And cockroaches.
Greece/Grease/no clue via Shutterstock