Bucket List: The Big 200 Edition
Written by Isabel Sepúlveda
Bucket List represents the intellectual privilege we enjoy as Columbia students. We do our very best to bring to your attention important guest lecturers and special events on campus. Our recommendations for this week are below, and the full list is after the jump. If you notice any events that have been left off the list, or if you have a correction, please let us know in the comments.
- “The Rise of the Rest – Entrepreneurship Across America.” Wednesday, September 12, 5:00 – 6:30 pm. Low Library Rotunda. Steve Case, Secretary Jacob J. Lew, moderated by Dean Merit E. Janow, Register here.
- “Complex Issues: ‘King in the Wilderness.’” Thursday, September 13, 6:30 – 8:30 pm. The Katharina Otto-Bernstein Screening Room, Lenfest Center for the Arts. Institute for Research in African-American Studies and Columbia Journalism School. Register here.
- “Perspectives on Peace Presents: Rule Makers and Rule Breakers.” Thursday, September 13, 6 – 8 pm. Cowin Auditorium, Teachers College. Dr. Michele Gelfand, Dr. Peter Coleman. RSVP here.
- “An Archive of Struggle: Celebrating the Frederick Douglass Bicentennial.” Friday, September 14, 3 PM. Diana Event Oval. Celeste-Marie Bernier, Kim F. Hall, Quandra Prettyman, and Frances Sadler.
Monday, September 10
- “Fall 2018 Minerva Lectures: Asymptotic Theory of Transaction Costs.” 1:10 – 2:25 pm. Mathematics, Room 507. Walter Schachermayer.
Tuesday, September 11
- “EU Integration & Democratic Backsliding in Central & Eastern Europe.” 12:00 – 1:30 pm. Marshall D. Shulman Seminar Room (1219 IAB) Laszlo Bruszt.
- “Is Your Liver Fit?” 5:30 – 7 pm. Columbia Community Partnership for Health (390 Fort Washington Ave, New York, NY 10033), Ground Floor. Dr. Julia Wattacheril.
Wednesday, September 12
- “The Dark Side of the Force: Threat Perception, Bilateralism and the Origins of the US-Australia Alliance.” 12:10 – 2 pm. IAB, Room 1302. Michael Cohen, moderated by Robert Jervis.
- “Fracking And The New Age of Oil, Money And Power.” 6 – 7 pm. Pulitzer Hall, The Joseph D. Jamail Lecture Hall, 3rd floor. Bethany McLean, Jim Chanos, Joe Nocera. RSVP here.
- “The Field of Blood: Joanne Freeman and Eric Foner.” 7 pm. NYPL, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, Margaret Liebman Berger Forum. Registration here.
Thursday, September 13
- “Russia and China: Beacons of Illiberal Ideology.” 12 – 1:30 pm. Marshall D. Shulman Seminar Room (IAB, Room 1219). Charles Clover.
- “Food, Farming, and Sustainability Conference.” 8:30 am – 5:30 pm. IAB, Room 1501. Environmental Sciences and Humanities Research Cluster. Register here.
- “New Books in the Society of Fellows: Celebrating Recent Work by Maggie Cao, Dalia Judovitz, and William Sharpe.” 6:15 pm. Heyman Center, Second Floor Common Room. Maggie Cao, William Sharpe, Dalia Judovitz; with guest speakers Elizabeth W. Hutchinson, Daniel Harkett, Richard Brilliant; moderated by María González Pendas
200 and still going strong via Wikimedia Commons
Tags: bucket list, entrepeneurship has about 6 more letters than it needs, first years go to at least a couple campus events before you lose all will, you can't possibly have midterms yet you have no excuse