Cooking With Bwog, John Jay And Ferris Edition: Layered Yam Cheesecake
Written by Regan Mies
It’s 11:58pm on a Saturday. All you want is something delicious and bad for you, but JJ’s is so far away… Wait! You remember you have John Jay and Ferris take-out boxes full of random ingredients in your mini-fridge. Some cereal, some cream cheese packets… you’re good to go! Follow our recipe below for the perfect fall treat–made entirely out of food gathered from John Jay and Ferris!
Disclaimer: Make sure you grab your ingredients with a meal swipe–John Jay and Ferris both offer take-out boxes for you to bring back to your dorm.
As new freshmen in Wallach (kitchens in the lounges!), my roommate Paolina and I have embarked on an endeavor to create as many recipes as we can with only food from Ferris and John Jay. Sometimes they’ll turn out great and other times they definitely won’t! Each recipe will end with some real people reviewing our finished product, so you’ll know what’s up.
This week: Layered Yam Cheesecake
Appliances: Microwave and fridge
- almost a quarter of a take out box of John Jay roasted yams
- 10 cream cheese packets
- two hefty spoonfuls of caramel sauce from the ice cream station
- like a bit of cinnamon, a John Jay stolen-silverware spoonful
- 2 packets of sugar
- five smallish handfuls of Chex cereal
- a smallish handful of Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- 3 pinches of cinnamon
- 2 sugar packets
- 4 pats of butter
- Remove the skins of the John Jay roasted yams. Mush around.
- In a different bowl (steal paper bowls if you’ve gotta), whisk 10 packets of cream cheese until fluffy-ish.
- Swirl in two hefty spoonfuls of caramel sauce.
- Dash a spoonful of cinnamon in. Add two packets of sugar.
- Whisk for a longggg time until no longer grainy with sugar.
- Stir mushy yams into the cream cheese mixture.
- Fill a Ziploc bag with five small handfuls of rice Chex cereal, a handful of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, three pinches of cinnamon, and two packets of sugar.
- Crush all the cereal into a crunchy dust by taking out all of your Columbia Stress on the Ziploc bag and beating it against the countertop.
- Melt (unwrapped) pats of butter in the microwave and add to the crushed cereal mixture. Shake it up.
- Layer a bowl with a layer of the crust mixture, then a layer of the cream cheese mixture, then the crust mixture, then the cream cheese until the mixtures are gone!
- Chill the cheesecake in the fridge for twenty or so minutes (or as long as you can wait).
- Enjoy! Seriously, this one is actually pretty good! But don’t just take our word for it!
Fellow Wallach 6th floor first years were brave enough to test our end product.
Jason took the first bite. “It’s crunchy,” he told us. And after a pause: “Okay, so I don’t actually know what cheesecake is supposed to taste like.”
Veronica really boosted our confidence: “Mmm, that’s pretty good. Yeah, I’d eat the whole thing.”
And Justin concluded, “That’s actually good!”
Give our Layered Yam Cheesecake a try for yourself, let Bwog know what you think, and stay tuned for more Food You Can Make With Ingredients From John Jay And Ferris!
Images via Paolina Gonzales
Tags: be cool use take-out boxes, bwog doesn't condone or endorse stealing from dining halls yall, cheesecake, cooking with bwog, fall is finally here guys, look at these hot pics, no hate @ the psl, photos by goddess paolina!!!, wallach is underrated, yams are where it's at, yum!, yummy yummy