And How Hard Were Your College Apps?

We know that almost all of us had to overcome something to get to Columbia, but let’s be honest: some had to overcome more than others.

As the first example of this, the New York Times presents Carrie Montgomery, a new member of the class of 2013, and one of twelve Times scholars this year. Despite growing up in the South Bronxwith 9 siblings and an ailing single mom, Montgomery maintained a 95.6 average in four years at the Bronx School for Law, Government, and Justice, and now joins a group of 12 that will recieve $30,000, a laptop, and (perhaps just as precious in this economy) a guaranteed internship at the Times.

The Times reports that Carrie wants to be a lawyer, and hopes to write an autobiography some day to encourage young people like herself to work hard and succeed despite their backgrounds. We’d say she’s off to a good start. (photo via the Times)

• right on. says:

@right on. warms my heart.

• agreed says:

@agreed touching stories all — it’s good to be reminded of what a fucking gift going to this place really is … I am deeply humbled by some of these kids and will do my best not to squander my (fleeting) time at this place

• The girl says:

@The girl The girl living on $10 a month is outstanding. They’re all outstanding. Mind blown.

• these kids says:

@these kids are badasses. congrats to all.

• ddd says:

@ddd affirmative action :(

1. wow... says:

@wow... congratulations, you’re a douchebag. go back to jersey.

2. yeah says:

@yeah I think everyone should just buy their way in like this guy did

• averagecolumbian says:

@averagecolumbian we need more kids like these who knows the value of education. unlike the toolbag above me.

• ??? says:

@??? Why would anyone want to come here?

• Dominique says:

@Dominique She seems awesome, and is representing the Boogie-down!

• yea says:

@yea bravo to these kids. their stories always sound like life was no fucking picnic whatsoever. i hope that the rest of the ridiculously high price of college gets covered by financial aid.

• hmmm says:

@hmmm doesn’t sound like the typical Columbia kid…i come from one of the richest counties (highest median income) and i feel poor here

congrats and hope the mom gets better

• 2010 says:

@2010 holy goodness. that is so crazy… jesus I feel like a tool now when i complain about my highschool experience. CONGRATS!!! our Columbia bubble helps us forget that people have legitimate hardships. I’m really proud we’re going to have a winner at our school!

• congrats says:

@congrats to these kids, who have gotten here against the odds, and who will appreciate the value of a Columbia education more than most kids here.

And congratulations to the NYT, who to their credit aren’t letting nationality precede merit, unlike Congress and the Senate.

• Dear Bwog says:

@Dear Bwog I love you, I do. But please learn how to spell “receive”. Thank you

• amazed says:

@amazed Reading this article makes me feel ashamed about my own life; it is hard to imagine that these students were able to put themselves through such hardships and succeed in the end astounds me. My heart goes out to them; they truly deserved to get this scholarship. Bravo!