Frank Bigga Barry, Mel’s Bouncer, Has Passed Away

RIP Bigga

Multiple reports have confirmed that Morningside Heights’ beloved nightlife icon, Frank “Bigga” Barry, has passed away.  Causes are unknown at the time, and we will update with more information as we get it.  Bigga was a happy fixture in front of Mel’s on weekends, quick to crack a joke and always honest.

An open and friendly man, he made many close connections with students.  We would like to remind you all to never underestimate the strength and kindness of those around you, no matter how recently you may have met them.  Don’t forget that Columbia has many resources to help students cope with loss, including Counseling and Psychological Services (212-854-2878). We extend our deepest condolences to everyone affected, and ask that commenters use the space respectfully.

Update, 6:05 pm: The following email was sent to the Mel’s “Brew Crew” from owner Steven Kay:

Dear Crew,
Many of you already know, but for those that don’t, it is with a heavy heart that I inform you of the passing of Frank “Bigga” Barry.  Bigga was the bouncer at Mel’s for the last two years and was an integral part of who we are and what we do.  He was a sweet guy, with a big heart, and a bigger smile.  The entire Mel’s family will miss him dearly.  May he rest in peace.
Sincerely,
Steven

• Everyone says:

@Everyone WE LOVE YOU, BIGGA!

• RIP Bigga says:

@RIP Bigga I’ll never forget how happy you were for me when I turned 21 and you could finally let me into Mel’s.

• Kal says:

@Kal Going to miss that guy.

• Laura says:

@Laura For shaping my senior year, thank you Bigga. You’ll be missed. x

@Anonymous Never have I respected a man so much for rejecting my terrible ID.

• anon says:

@anon seeing the outpouring of love for this great man on twitter, fb, etc is more than enough proof that he was not only a beloved bouncer of some college bar in morningside heights, he was also a friend to so many and made an impact. bigga will always remain a legend

• The Honourably Based FILGB says:

@The Honourably Based FILGB Thank you bigga, for putting up with all the drunk freshmen, asshole jocks and Barnard biddies. ;_;

@Anonymous whaaat? what happened?

@Anonymous Wow! R.I.P. No wonder why I haven’t seem him lately.

@Anonymous Do campus publications really need to include the number for CPS with every death story?

also RIP

1. In fact, says:

@In fact, Yes, they really do. People deal with death differently, try to be sensitive.

RIP Bigga

• tina says:

@tina “Oh, your ID says “authentic”? Now I KNOW it’s not real!” Miss you, bigga.

• Ecem says:

@Ecem “It’s good enough to fool me.” R.I.P Bigga, the sweetest man I wish I had a chance to get to know better. :(

• Hmm says:

@Hmm It’s pretty difficult to bring the diverse Columbia and Barnard communities together as one. Let that be a testament to Bigga’s benevolent impact on us all.

• BigRed says:

@BigRed As a student from Cornell who loves to visit my friend at Barnard, even I shared a lot of good times with Bigga, specifically involving guessing Skittle flavors with our eyes closed. He will definitely be missed. R.I.P.

• anonymous says:

@anonymous RIP BIGGA. WE LOVE YOU

• Peter Barry (Biggas brother) says:

@Peter Barry (Biggas brother) Id like to thank you all for your well wishes, the Barry family would like to invite all that knew and loved my brother to his home going services on Sunday January 27 2013 at the Caribe funeral home 1922 Utica Ave Bklyn Ny 11234 services are from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm…..and just like my little bro we plan to party after in celebration of him. Hope to see you all there. thanks

1. Anon says:

@Anon Thanks for this info. If it’s not too much trouble, may I ask what happened?

• Anon says:

@Anon (Overheard at Lion’s Head)
    Person 1: It wasn’t an overdose, was it?
    Person 2: No, I’ve been trying to do coke with him for years. It couldn’t have been.