William “Billy” McGuire, MBA ’14, Passes Away

Dean Martinez has just forwarded an e-mail by Business School Dean R. Glenn Hubbard announcing the death of student William “Billy” McGuire. An accomplished athlete and promising businessman, the loss of Billy is a loss to the university’s community. Bwog would like to extend our most sincere condolences to all those who were close to him. If you need support, remember that Counseling and Psychological Services (212-854-2878) is there for you.

Dear Students:

It is with great sadness that I write to inform you of the untimely loss of another Columbia community member and one of your fellow classmates and friends, William “Billy” McGuire ’14.

Billy enrolled at Columbia Business School in Fall 2012 after graduating from Franklin and Marshall College with a degree in government in 2007. He was a tremendous athlete and a member of the varsity baseball team as an undergraduate. He served as the team’s captain in 2007 and won “Team Rookie of the Year” in 2004. At Columbia he continued his involvement with sports as a member of the Sports Business Association. He was also active in the Columbia Student Investment Management Association. Before joining the School, Billy worked as an analyst at BlackRock and a corporate paralegal at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett. With an interest in financial services, particularly investment and portfolio management, he secured a summer internship at a major financial firm. Billy was a terrific member of the Columbia community and his cluster, C ’14. He will undoubtedly be missed.

Billy is survived by his parents, Bill and Denise, his siblings Jack, Molly, and Ryan, and his fiancé, Liz Masi.

The loss of a community member can be deeply troubling, especially for family and friends. Nayla Bahri, Dean of Students, will follow up with more information regarding resources of support. As more information becomes available, we will be sure to update the community.

With deepest sympathy,

Glenn Hubbard

• CC'14 says:

@CC'14 How’d he die?

• A concerned alum... says:

@A concerned alum... Sorry for being so direct – why has there been an increase in these incidents on campus.
    I hope the administration is doing something.

My prayers with Billy and his family.

1. Investigation says:

@Investigation @A concerned alum…:

I’m not suggesting this is related but there is a big investigation by law enforcement I’m not allowed to get into. In the meantime, please stay away from any cults in this area of NYC. I’m sure some of you already know which one I am referring to. Please do not comment any further about it after me. The truth will be out soon i promise.

• Investigation says:

@Investigation to concerned alum:

– other concerned alum.

• Investigation says:

@Investigation Also, the administration can’t do any better here – not that they are not capable, but the sheer magnitude of this investigation renders them useless to said investigation — the administration for example, cannot send in double agents/witnesses, wiretap, or get search warrants.

Fear not, if McGuire’s death is not related, the administration still, cannot do much to prevent such a thing. There’s already all those campus cops around. It’s no FBI, just sayin’

• A Friend of Billy says:

@A Friend of Billy The incident did not take place on campus, nor anywhere near Columbia.

• kelly gaw says:

@kelly gaw my thoughts and prayers go out to Bill’s family and his beautiful fiance, Liz. such a horrble waste of bright future. i know Liz through her loving mother Ellen and i know Liz”s family is suffering as well. so my prayers also go out to Ellen and Jim