Housing Reviews 2017: River Hall
Written by Bwog Staff
River Phoenix fan? We’ve got you. River is one of Columbia’s hottest dorms, at least in our opinion. This dorm may have a simple name, but it’s got big plans. Read about its cool features.
Location: 628 West 114th Street between Broadway and Riverside Drive.
Nearby dorms: Shapiro, Broadway, Hogan, St. A’s, those Barnard 116 dorms.
Stores and restaurants: Best halal cart, M2M, Starbucks, Morton Williams, Sweetgreen, University Stationary.
Cost: standardized to $9,292/year
- Bathrooms: Four shared, gender inclusive, private bathrooms per floor.
- AC/Heat: No AC; you’ll remain toasty year round.
- Kitchen/Lounge: Two shared lounge-kitchens on every floor (one per suite), complete with seating, television, refrigerator, oven, microwave, and dishwasher. Residents can be as domestic as they like in this fine abode.
- Laundry: Located in the basement with four washers/dryers, all free.
- Computers/Printers: A computer lab is located in the basement with one shared printer.
- Gym: Fitness room with treadmill, elliptical, and other various athletic equipment located in the basement.
- Intra-transportation: One elevator and one stairwell for six floors, though the basement is only accessible by elevator.
- Wifi: Yes.
- Hardwood/Carpet: Hardwood.
- Facilities: Residents are responsible to maintain kitchens and room/suite trash. Bathrooms are cleaned weekly be facilities, and recycling is removed on a weekly basis as well.
- Bonus: Music practice room in the basement.
- Total of 127 singles and one walk-through double on the first floor. There are around thirty “big” singles and 97 smaller singles. Room sizes range around 110-145 sq. ft.
- Largest singles are the corner rooms, so those tend to go quickly.
- Many of the larger rooms have river views. Alternatively, many of the side rooms are shafted.
- Last year’s cutoff for large singles (most of which have a river view) was 30/1581
- Last year’s cutoff for other singles was 20/1312
- Overall, it’s mostly seniors with some juniors. (It’s easier to get as a junior in a mixed senior group).
- Very close to campus, as well as all the amenities of Broadway. Plus, Riverside park is right there for joggers, smokers, and wanderers.
- You can have dope views, but only if you get lucky.
- All singles might mean you feel a little antisocial, but the hall lounge/kitchen is a good place to chill and meet people. Best of both worlds!
- Uphill walk to campus isn’t that bad, even in winter. Come on guys.
- To get a bigger single, a point value of 30 or higher is going to be necessary. For those with 20, don’t get your hopes up too high.
- I really like it–it’s quiet, but the facilities are really nice.
- I like that it’s a bit out of the campus bubble.
- I’m living next to six of my closest friends, so it’s sorta like a suite, which is awesome.
- The showers and kitchens are really nice as long as people keep it clean!