Where Art Thou: (Almost) Everything Is On Wednesday Edition
Written by Bwog Staff
New York City is packed with amazing culture and inspiring art, but sometimes it’s difficult to break the Morningside-bubble and experience it all first-hand. “Where Art Thou” is a weekly guide to interesting and notable lectures, events, and performances for the literary/musically/theatrically-inclined on campus.
- This Wednesday, Toyin Ojih Odutola, Barnard’s Lida A. Orzeck ’68 Artist-in-Residence, and Mary Sibande, Johannesburg and Venice Biennale artist, will discuss the political role that artists can play in today’s society. The discussion will be moderated by Kellie Jones, Columbia Professor of Art History and MacArthur Fellow. It will take place in the Diana Event Oval, starting at 6 pm.
- Also on Wednesday at 6 pm, Eduard Gorokhovsky’s “From Siberia To Moscow” exhibit will open in the International Affairs Building. Eduard Gorokhovsky is a Russian Soviet Nonconformist who is known for using photographs to create “intentionally unresolved serial images.”
- Also on Wednesday, Writers Danielle Dutton and Jen George will be featured in a fiction reading at 7 pm in Dodge Hall. Dutton founded the independent publishing press Dorothy, a Publishing Project, which is now publishing a new book by George.
- This Thursday, from 8 to 10 pm, the Miller Theater will put on a composer portrait of Raphaël Cendo, known for “sonic and kinetic excess as an exploration of ‘saturation.'” Cendo’s music will be performed by Either/Or and Yarn/Wire.
- If you are a grad student in the Columbia School of the Arts and are also looking for an excuse to go downtown this Wednesday, check out the “Columbia School of the Arts/NYU Tisch Partnership Mixer.” The event promises “a brief discussion of the different programs, drinks, networking, and inevitable musical theatre discussions.” Register here.
Photo via The Film Experience
Tags: shoutout to our grad student readers - all two of you, shoutout to the multiple high schoolers our eic knows who are involved in productions of the addams family this spring, when will we have another bwog/nyu local mixer, where art thou?, why is everything on wednesday?