Housing is coming up, and no, you can’t just avoid thinking about it like you’re avoiding thinking about your Lit Hum paper,
Econ problem set, 1004 homework, French presentation…check out what Wien Hall has to offer, and check back tomorrow for another housing review.
Location: 411 W. 116th Street
- Nearby dorms: East Campus
- Nearby food: HamDel, Brownie’s, AppleTree (a Bwog staff favorite <3), Strokos and Artopolis (sorta)
Cost: $7,640/per year (same as Broadway, Furnald, McBain, and Schapiro). This is the cheapest rate for non-freshman housing.
- Bathrooms: Recently renovated (2009-10), with separate men’s and women’s on every floor, as well as a handicap bathroom. They are quite nice, with 3 showers each.
- AC/Heating: No AC, fairly noisy radiator heating.
- Kitchen/Lounge: Spacious ground floor lounge with sparse seating and a piano; Kitchen Lounge on 2nd floor equipped with large refrigerator, oven, stove, microwave, dishwasher, lots of cabinet space, cable TV, 2 couches, and a large table with a few chairs. Floor lounges only on 5th, 7th, and 9th floors, equipped with cable TV, an average of 4 comfy chairs, a microwave, some cabinet space, and a kind of cool white board wall.
- Laundry: Small laundry room on 2nd floor equipped with 8 washers and 9 dryers
- Computers/Printers: Computer lab on 2nd floor equipped with 2 printers and 6 computers.
- Intra-transportation: Two elevators of mediocre speed. Only the left one goes to the top floor.
- Hardwood/Carpet: Recently carpeted hallways, hardwood flooring in a some doubles rooms, but mostly linoleum in singles.
- Wi-Fi: Yes.
- Special Stuff: YOU GET A SINK IN YOUR ROOM?!?! Seriously a personal sink… that’s basically a half-bath.
- Singles: Around 28 per floor on the 3rd through 9th, 20 on the 10th, and 15 on the 11th and 12th. All range from 100 sq. ft. to 145 sq. ft., with an average around 120 sq. ft., which is most likely larger than what you’d get in Schapiro or Broadway.
- Doubles: 1 double on 4th through 9th floors at the north end of the hallway, 2 doubles on 11th and 12th floors at south end of the hallway. All are 200 sq. ft. There is one other double on the 12th floor (1202/04) that is 246 sq. ft. a.k.a. fit for a king.
- Walk-through Doubles: There are 3 to 4 walk-through doubles on each floor, with less on the 11th and 12th. The 42/3 rooms at the south end on the 3rd through 9th floors are significantly larger totaling 290 sq. ft., while the other dingles average 250 sq. ft. and can be as small as 200 sq. ft. on the 10th through 12th floors.