freshman first-year, there are certain mistakes you need to make and times to have before those two semesters end. So as this first semester comes to a close, Bwog decided to compile these essentials so that you don’t miss anything big. There are
The distinctly freshman
- Mistake your first friends at Columbia (NSOP) for your best friends…
- Find the love of your life.
- Realize that wasn’t the love of your life and college isn’t like in the movies.
- Not really realizing that you might need to work for once in your life..
- Assuming Butler is the only library.
- Almost forgetting to sign up for a PE class
- Be THAT freshman at a party (but only once)
- Have CAVA (or whatever it’s called nowadays) on your speed dial.
- Walk to Battery Park and back overnight (trust me, it’s dope)
- Discovering the third floor reading room in Diana
- Come out as ___________
- Break up with your high school boy/girl/humanfriend
- Awkward first office hours
- Get really excited about the dining halls
- …(one week later) HATE the dining halls
- Figuring out Joe’s is easily a two minute walk from Milbank or Diana
- Go to Deluxe’s five dollars burger nights
- Make friends with the halal guy on 115 near Schapiro
- Midnight Breakfast (you get in first being a first-year, hollah)
- Big Sub
The things that will most likely continue well past your first year
- Actually going downtown one night instead of just staying in MoHo
- Missing your L-course sign-up time
- Panicked first email to a professor for an extension
- Panicked second email to a professor for an extension
- Be homesick.
- Think about transferring.
- Gain weight.
- Combine drinking and studying by getting drunk in one of the secluded rooms with your friends. Multiple times.
- Go crazy.
- Be irresponsible.
#1 Columbia student and well-rounded individual via Shutterstock.