Housing Reviews 2014: Ruggles
Written by Bwog Staff
Housing approacheth. And, unless you’re on top of it, it’s probably coming up sooner than you think. Bwog’s got you covered; we’ll be rolling out two housing reviews per day until no residence hall is left un-reviewed. Prepare to get (even more) excited: this year, we’re reviewing Barnard residence halls, too. Reviews for all! Today’s residence hall is… Ruggles!
Location: 508 W. 114th St.
- Nearby dorms: John Jay, LLC, Carman, brownstones, Broadway
- Stores and restaurants: Strokos, Artopolis, JJs, and nearly everything on Amsterdam around campus. You’re just a short walk from HamDel and just one avenue away from Broadway.
- $9,076 (same as Claremont, EC, Hogan, Symposium, Watt, and Woodbridge)
- Bathrooms: Two full baths in the 6- and 8- person suites. One full bath in the 4-person suites.
- AC/Heating: No AC. You can’t control the heating, so it can become hotter than needed.
- Kitchen/Lounge: Each suite comes equipped with a large kitchen, a full-size refrigerator, oven, stove, and microwave.
- Laundry: 5 washers and 5 dryers in the basement; regularly fills at peak hours. It’s also only accessible by elevator, so even the lower floors have to wait.
- Computers/Printers: One printer in the lobby.
- Gym: Gym in the newly-renovated basement with 4 machines.
- Intra-transportation: One elevator that runs reasonably fast, and one narrow staircase.
- Hardwood/Carpet: Hardwood
- On each floor:
- One 4-person all-single suite (on even floors this is the RA suite)
- One 6-person 2-double/2-single suite
- Two 8-person suites (either 2-double/4-single or 3-double/2-single).
- N.B.: The first floor has only one 8-person suite, with 2 doubles, 1 single, and 1 walk-through double.
- Singles can range from a tiny 85 sq. ft. (8-person suites) to a more spacious 175 sq. ft. (4-person suites)
- Doubles range from small (170 sq. ft.) to decent (200 sq. ft.)
- 4-person suites went to all seniors (cutoff was 30/1222)
- 6-person suites went to seniors and juniors with good numbers (cutoff was 20/761)
- 8-person suites went to seniors and juniors (cutoff was 20/2918)
- Floor plans of various suites vary a lot—particularly for the 8-person suites—so choose carefully!
- “The best thing about Ruggles is the fact that we all knew each other coming in, so it’s great to be living together.”
- “The facilities are kind of old.”
- “There’s some wires in my room that are just painted over…the paint on our bathroom also just looks like it’s melting off.”
- “I really like how spacious the rooms are, and how close we are to everything on campus.”
- “The RAs are pretty hands-off. The lounge is so far away from the elevator and shaft, which is where the RAs do their checks. You can have a lot of people in here and barely have it register on the noise level.”
- “Close to campus and Amsterdam. Location is great.”
- “There’s a lack of a common living space… in my suite we just have a kitchen.”
- “You have to bring the trash down to the basement yourself, which is kind of a pain.”