Barnard Housing Reviews 2014: Elliott
Written by Bwog Staff
Housing approacheth. And, unless you’re on top of it, it’s probably coming up sooner than you think. Bwog’s got you covered; we’ll be rolling out two housing reviews per day until no residence hall is left un-reviewed. Prepare to get (even more) excited: this year, we’re reviewing Barnard residence halls, too. Reviews for all! Today’s residence hall is… Elliott!
Location: 49 Claremont, at the corner of 119th.
- Nearby dorms: The Quad, the 600’s, everything on Claremont, even Plimpton is relatively close
- Stores and restaurants: Halal, Vine, Morton Williams, God Box, Hewitt, the Diana
- $9,800 for a single (same as all Barnard dorms)
- $8,450 for a double or triple (same as all Barnard dorms)
- Bathrooms: Two toilets and two showers for each twelve person corridor-suite, usually not busy.
- AC/Heating: There’s an AC/heater in every room.
- Kitchen/Lounge: Each floor is divided into two halves which house twelve people and each half has its own spacious kitchen with oven, microwave, sink and shared cupboard space. There’s no community fridge, so you’ll want to get a mini-fridge for your room. There is one shared lounge per floor, nicely decorated with pictures of vintage Barnard, colorful furniture and a TV with cable.
- Laundry: Machines in the basement, in a very creepy dark room on a kinda creepy hallway.
- Gym: None, but there’s a door to the Barnard tunnels right across the street and they’ll take you straight to the Barnard weight room.
- Intra-transportation: One slow elevator, but there are only 6 floors.
- Wi-Fi: Yep.
- Hardwood/carpet: Hardwood.
- Each floor is divided into two halves each with 2 doubles and 8 singles.
- The smallest singles are 7’6” by 9’, which feel pretty teensy. Doubles are around 13’ by 12’ and have bunkbeds.
- Check out the floorplans for more deets.
- Predominantly sophomores, with the odd junior. Sometimes people on the waitlist get put in Elliott, others pick in.
- All transfer students live in Elliott .
- Elliott is pretty much the alternative to Hewitt for sophomores who don’t want to live in suites or who don’t have great numbers. It’s farther from most of the action than Hewitt, but you don’t have to live in the Quad, which, as everyone who was a first-year knows, can be tedious.
- You also don’t have to buy the mandatory Upper Classman Quad meal plan if you live in Elliott.
- The stretch of Claremont that Elliott is on is probably one of the prettiest blocks in Morningside Heights.
- “The walls in Elliott are so thin that I can hear my friend who lives across the hall receive the texts I send her when her phone is on vibrate.”
- “The lounges are literally some of the best lounges in all of Barnard. I have a friend who doesn’t even live in Elliott and goes there to watch Mad Men.”
- “The rooms were a good size and the kitchens were pretty good.”
- “The AC could not be beaten, but we had some MAD toilet issues. I swear to God one of the toilets was always clogged.”
- “THE FUCKING TRUCKS AT ALL HOURS OF THE DAMN MORNING.”
- “Yeah those fucking trucks were the worst. Otherwise the building was super quiet. The bathrooms were pretty decent. The rooms were decent too and had AC (!) but there were no closets, only wardrobes.”