Location: 620 West 116th Street, at the corner of Riverside and 116th street
Nearby dorms: 600, 616, the Quad (including Hewitt, Reid, Sulzberger and Brooks), Woodbridge, Claremont
Nearby restaurants/stores: Vine, Halal carts, Morton Williams, Starbucks, $weetgreen
- Bathrooms: Each suite has its own shared bathroom. Some of the suites (B suites on the upper floors) have a half bathroom in the common area. More options for peeing in the morning when everyone needs to use the bathroom!
- AC/Heating: No AC- definitely invest in a fan for the summer months. Dinky little radiators that can take a long time to turn on/overheat the room quickly.
- Kitchen/Lounge: Each suite has a kitchen, sink, gas stove/oven, and refrigerator. Kitchens have a ton of cabinet space, but the cabinets are super high since the suites tend to have high ceilings. Definitely will want to invest in a step ladder. Some of the suites have a small common area off the kitchen (big enough for a dining table and chairs, not big enough for additional furniture/huge gatherings.) No lounge in 620, but you can use the one next door in 616.
- Laundry: In the basement. About 6 washers and dryers. Usually not super busy.
- Computers/Printers: Printers and Computer Lab in the 616 lounge.
- Gym: None in the building, but close to the Barnard gym in Barnard Hall.
- Intra-transportation: Two elevators and a stairwell.
- Wi-Fi: Yes, pretty good coverage throughout the suite.
- Hardwood/carpeting: Flooring is black linoleum throughout the suite. They can get cold in the winter, so bring some rugs.
- There are single and double rooms in 4, 5, 6, and 7 person suites. Floors 1-4 have doubles and singles in suites (singles are pretty small but nice), and floors 5 and up are 4-5 person suites comprised of all singles. These floors usually are occupied by all seniors, and the underclassmen housing on lower floors is 2/3 doubles and 1/3 singles.
- For the all single suites, most of the rooms are fairly large with one smaller, narrow room. Still plenty of space (think of a Plimpton single.)
- Usually the 620 suites are claimed by seniors, especially floors 5 and up (suites with all singles). Expect those top floor suites with the views onto 116th St. to go very early to the best lottery numbers. Some juniors will be able to grab the suites on the lower floors for the mixed singles/doubles suites. Sophomores shouldn’t hold their breath for 620.
- 620 is arguably one of the best housing options at Barnard, so it’s no surprise that seniors move quickly for those upperfloor suites. Some of the suites have beautiful views onto 116th St. through huge floor-to-ceiling windows. Plus, you can’t beat a housing option that gives everyone their own single with plenty of space.
- If you’re someone who has lived farther from campus the past couple years (110, Plimpton, etc.) 620’s location can be a huge bonus. You’re close to both Columbia and Barnard’s campuses and steps away from the subway if you’re interning during the week.
- The building definitely doesn’t feel like a traditional dorm considering most of the suites feel like apartments. This can be a great choice for seniors transitioning from college life into the real world. Also, this is nicest housing you’ll be able to afford come graduation, so appreciate it while you can.
- “Definitely some of the best housing at Barnard.”
- “I love being close to the subway considering I lived farther from campus the past few years.”
- “So much cabinet/closet space in the dorm. We have two big closets in the hallway.”
- “We’ve had a couple cockroaches in the suite, but nothing major compared to the problems in the other 600’s dorms.”
- “My suite and I have been dreaming about our all singles suite since we were all living in Brooks freshman year! Seniors, you must live here!!!”
- “Pro-tip: take the walk down Claremont to Diana in about 3 minutes as opposed to going up to Broadway.”
- “If you end up with a larger single, consider bringing along a futon or other furniture- you’ll definitely have the space for it.”
- “The rooms with the big windows looking on 116th can be a little drafty. Be prepared for some cold nights in the winter if your radiator isn’t working.”