600 West 116th Street, or the dorm above Shake Shack, is a conveniently located Barnard housing option. But it has a number of inconveniences, too. Read on to weigh the pros and cons.
Location: 600 West 116th Street.
- Nearby dorms: 616, 620, the Quad, Shapiro.
- Stores and restaurants: Shake Shack, Pret à Manger, University Stationary, MoWill, Sweetgreen.
- Cost: The costs for Barnard rooms haven’t been released yet, but last year they were $9,510 for multiple occupancy and $11,038 for single occupancy. Next year, single and multiple prices will be the same.
Bathrooms: Each suite has one bathroom. Some are newly renovated/modern.
AC/Heating: Heating but no AC.
Lounge: There’s a lounge on the second floor. Suites have a common dining room space.
Kitchen: Each suite has one kitchen with an oven, fridge, and stove.
Laundry: On the second floor. Requires the Barnard laundry card.
Computers/printers: Down the street, in the lobby of 616.
Gym: None. Go to the Barnard gym, a short walk away.
Intra-transportation: Two elevators that are notoriously slow and constantly break.
Hardwood/carpet: Hardwood throughout. Linoleum in kitchen and tile in bathroom.
WiFi: Yes, Barnard WiFi.
- Mostly doubles, some singles (generally for the RA)
- Check out the floorplans to see suite layouts!
Mostly juniors will get 600, with some sophomores. Seniors generally don’t want to live here because they prefer singles.
600 is super conveniently located, but it’s also old and some suites have been known to have mice problems. It’s also hard to get a single, if that’s what you want.
On the flip side, some suites have killer views, and if you get one of those, you’ve lucked out! Plus, you can host dinner parties in your dining room if your suite mates are down.
- “The elevators are f****** slow. Be prepared to wait a lot, or climb.”
- “Keep clean because there are mice. A lot of them.”
- “Make friends with George, the maintenance guy!”
- “Lots of mice!!”