So you’ve heard mixed reviews about Plimpton: but what is Plimpton really all about? In this housing review, we break down everything that you need to know before living in Plimpton.
Location: 1235 Amsterdam Ave (between 120th and 121st on Amsterdam)
Nearby dorms: EC and Wien
Stores and restaurants: Appletree Deli, Friedman’s, Maxx Café
Cost: $9,510 per double, $11,038 for a single.
- Bathrooms: 1 per suite
- AC/Heating: AC and heat is available in Plimpton! You’re able to adjust the heat depending on the day so that you’re not sweating on an unusually warm winter day.
- Kitchen/Lounge: I decent sized kitchen with a nice dinner table and chairs. Plimpton has a TV lounge, a computer lab and a piano lounge on the first floor.
- Laundry: There are 6 washing machines and 6 dryers in the basement. They are pretty run down, and often there are washing machines that are broken.
- Fire Escapes: No fire escapes.
- Gym: Prepare to haul ass to Barnard Gym or suck it up and walk to Dodge. A nice run along Amsterdam or Morningside Park is pretty nice too.
- Bike Storage: No.
- Intra-transportation: Two elevators and two flights of stairs.
- Hardwood/Carpet: Plimpton got an upgrade! There are nice new (fake) hardwood floors.
- All suites are four singles and a double.
- There is one single that is larger than the others.
- Doubles have two windows and are in the corner of the suite.
- Most people that live in Plimpton are Barnard sophomores and juniors. It also isn’t unheard of to see Columbia SEAS students in Plimpton.
Unless you have a great lottery number, if you are a Barnard sophomore, you’ll probably end up in Plimpton. If you’re looking to still be surrounded by friends in your year, Plimpton is your best bet. As one of the only dorms with AC, living in Plimpton in September and October is a lot easier, and with the nice new upgrades, living here isn’t too bad after all. If you have more classes on Columbia’s campus or don’t mind the nice walk, Plimpton is a great place to live.
- “I absolutely love Plimpton. I get my steps in everyday, I’m only a few floors away from all of my friends, and living in a clean space after living in the Quad was a big deal to me. The upgrades are so nice, I feel like a real adult in my suite.”
- “It’s kind of annoying if you’re out with friends at 1020 or Mel’s, but besides that, Plimpton isn’t too bad.”
- “The only thing I don’t like is how far away it is from everything else. If Plimpton was where the 600s is, I would live here every year.”