For transfers and rising sophomores and juniors at Barnard, Elliott Hall is a convenient, if small, dorm located on Claremont.
Location: 49 Claremont (corner of 119th)
Nearby dorms: The Quad, the 600s
Stores and restaurants: Everything in the immediate Columbia/Barnard Broadway area: MoWill, the food trucks, Pret, Shake Shack, Starbucks, Sweetgreen, UPS/FedEx, etc.
Cost: Check the Barnard Housing page in late April for the prices of all Barnard rooms.
- Bathrooms: One gender-inclusive and one women’s restroom on each floor.
- AC/Heating: Central air conditioning and manual heaters, though I’m told they get too hot if you leave them on for over an hour.
- Kitchen: Two shared kitchens per floor, on either side of the lounge.
- Lounges: TV/study lounge on each floor.
- Laundry: 4 washer/dryer sets in the basement.
- Computers/Printers: One computer and one printer are located in the lobby.
- Gym: Barnard Hall’s weight room isn’t too far.
- Elevators: 1 elevator.
- Flooring: Carpet in halls, linoleum tile floor in the rooms.
- Every floor has 16 singles and 4 doubles. 8 singles and 2 doubles are arranged in a cluster on one side, while the other rooms are arranged in another cluster on the other side.
- Singles are generally small, but vary in size from 72.8 to 88 sq. feet. Doubles are also small, varying in size from 143 to 156 sq. feet.
- Bwog suggests you look at floor plans before picking a room, as there’s a ton of variety in Elliot.
Numbers: 96 students, mostly sophomores and juniors, with lots of transfers.
Bwog recommendation: Elliott has a bit of a reputation as the worst Barnard dorm. Most of the people who I talked to seemed fine with it, with their main complaints being that the singles are small and that the heating doesn’t work well. The double I visited was spacious and had a nice view of Claremont. If you’re looking for convenience but trying to avoid the Quad meal plan, Elliott is a pretty good option. Keep in mind that most of the population is transfers.
- “It’s either too hot or too cold.”
- “There was almost an electrical fire… but Facilities was on it.”
- “For doubles, the beds come bunked, but you can get Facilities to undo it.”
- “Laundry’s okay. I’ve only had to wait once even though there’s only 4 of each machine for the whole building.”
- “The shower water takes such a long time to get hot that if you brush your teeth and come back, it’ll finally be ready.”
- “Very convenient!”
- “If you spend time out in the common room, it can be very social.”
- “They should tear down Elliott and make a better one.”
- “It’s just really small. But it’s otherwise fine.”