At 5 pm today, the results of Barnard’s Student Government Association’s 2018 elections were released in an email to Barnard students, as well as on MyBarnard. The election concluded with a record 49.9% voter turnout.
These results also included the verdict of the referendum on whether or not SGA should write a letter to the Barnard trustees encouraging Barnard’s divestment from eight companies that are associated with or support Israel. The referendum passed with 741 votes (64.3% of the students who voted). SGA’s Executive Board will draft this letter over the course of the next week, and the full council will vote on it during the council’s final meeting on Monday, April 30. A full statement about these referendum results can be found after the jump.
The incoming officers of the 2018-2019 Barnard College Student Government Association Representative Council are:
- SGA President: Nicola Kirkpatrick
- Vice President for Policy: Mia Lindheimer
- Vice President for Campus Life: Hannah Stanhill
- Vice President for Communications: Kim Samala
- Vice President for Finance: Rachel Nordlicht
- Jr. Representative to the Board of Trustees: Jessica Cruz
- Representative for Inclusion and Equity: Tirzah Anderson
- Representative for Campus Affairs: Chelsea Sinclair
- Representative for Information and Technology: Yasmine Kaya
- Representative for Arts and Culture: Phanesia Pharel
- Representative for Health Services: Ava Adler
- Representative for Food and Dining Services: Yeliz Sezgin
- Representative for Seven Sisters Relations: Idris O’Neill
- Representative for Sustainable Initiatives: Caroline Cutlip
- Representative for Academic Affairs: Solace Mensah-Narh
- Sr. Class President: Rhea Nagpal
- Sr. Class VP: Hannah Yoo
- Jr. Class President: Gabi Garcia
- Jr. Class VP: Celine Zhu
- Soph. Class President: Tina Gao
- Soph. Class VP: Norah Hassan
Should SGA write a letter of support encouraging Barnard to divest from eight multinational companies (Hyundai Heavy Industries, Caterpillar, Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Elbit Systems, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Bank Hapoalim, Mekorot) that profit from or engage in the State of Israel’s treatment of Palestinians?
Yes: 741 votes – 64.3%
No: 412 votes – 35.7%
During the internal portion of our meeting on Monday, April 23rd, SGA will discuss and vote on next steps, now that we have the referendum results. If Rep Council votes to send a letter to the administration, SGA’s Executive Board will draft the letter over the course of that week (April 23 – April 29). The wording of the letter, if we vote to proceed with the letter, will be voted on during the internal portion of our final Rep Council meeting on Monday, April 30th. If it passes, it will be sent to the administration that evening.
Election Results can also be found on my.barnard.edu under the Campus Life tab.
Also please be on the lookout for applications for open SGA Committee positions! These will be posted on barnard.edu/sga/getinvolved soon. We encourage everyone to apply!
Photo via Bwog archives