Senior Wisdom: Rachel Deal

Portrait mode came THROUGH

Our final senior wisdom of the year is from Rachel Deal: EIC in late spring and fall 2016, queen veggie, conqueror of the Columbia double, Dunkin Donuts super-fan, and so much more.

Name, School, Major, Hometown: Rachel Deal, Columbia College, Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies, Medford, MA

Claim to fame: Running this damn website.

Where are you going? To run the Brooklyn Half next Saturday!

What are 3 things you learned at Columbia and would like to share with the Class of 2022?

1. Believe and support survivors! Stop socializing with known abusers!

2. In picking housing, prioritize sunlight over social life.

3. There are a lot of people at this school who lack morals! This used to bother me a lot, but I’ve found it best to accept that you cannot change others, and that there are way too many people here for you to hang out with the bad ones.

4. One more! Broadway au Lait has the best iced coffee in MoHi.

“Back in my day…” My roommate Emily dragged me to Cannons every weekend, and I ended my nights by eating lamb halal (I’m now a vegetarian).

Justify your existence in 30 words or fewer: I have lived in a double (with Emily!) all four years.

What was your favorite class at Columbia? Honestly, Music Hum. Or Earth Resources and Sustainable Development. Or anything taught by Rashid Khalidi or Joseph Massad.

Would you rather give up oral sex or cheese? Cheese.

Whom would you like to thank? All of my profs who were understanding when I asked for extensions! Also, my wise and cool older friends!

One thing to do before graduating: Try CPS. Make friends who don’t go to Columbia. Also, drink a bottle of wine on the steps when the weather’s nice.

Any regrets? Going out too much freshman and sophomore year. Skipping classes.

she’s glowing via Rachel Deal

@Anonymous <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

@Anonymous ♡♡♡♡♡

• Sarah D says:

@Sarah D I love you Rachel!!!!

@Anonymous teach me post colonial theory

• Joseph Milholland says:

@Joseph Milholland RACHEL!

This wisdom is amazing! You are amazing!

I hope you get plenty of sunlight in your amazing future!

@Anonymous Best senior wisdom. We’ll miss you!

• CanaryMissionSlut says:

@CanaryMissionSlut I love u baby rach

• Do not go to CPS says:

@Do not go to CPS 1. That information can and will be used against you. Many instances of the administration forcing students out “for their own good” based on what they said in CPS visits.

2. Psychiatry / Psychology aren’t sciences. They’re entirely subjective and full of unfalsifiable hypotheses. Different psychologists often have different and even conflicting diagnoses for the same patient! That quackery is impossible to remove from your CU medical records and fuels the fuckery in (1).

Get private help if you need it.

@Anonymous So Proud of YOU

What should you actually Venmo people for?

My girlfriend bought the coat for me as a Christmas gift. It ain't all what it is out to be. (read more)
    Untitled Canada Goose Game
    December 12, 2019
    In principle you’re right, but giving public safety more $$ rn isn’t necessarily the answer. Incidents over the last year (read more)
    18-Year-Old Barnard Student Fatally Stabbed In Morningside Park
    December 12, 2019
    so the theory here is that public safety is doing things just fine and she shouldn’t have been stupid enough (read more)
    18-Year-Old Barnard Student Fatally Stabbed In Morningside Park
    December 12, 2019
    she spent half an hour alone in the cold bleeding out right next to a Columbia public safety guard post, (read more)
    18-Year-Old Barnard Student Fatally Stabbed In Morningside Park