Columbia’s fall break is specifically scheduled over Election Day so students can go home and vote, so Bwog hopes you all did (or at least voted on campus). Whether you did or not, though, the results of these midterm elections are going to affect the country, the state, the city, and you. Yes, you! To help you make sense of the results, we’ve compiled a guide, and you can stay informed! Thanks to our friends at NYU Local for the inspiration.
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) defeated Republican Chele Farley for a second term. This was pretty much a given and will have little effect on whether she decides to run for president in 2020.
- Congressman Jerrold Nadler, who has been representing New York’s 10th congressional district for almost three decades, easily defeated his Republican opponent with a margin of 62%. The Democrats’ recapture of the House of Representatives means that Nadler will chair the House Judiciary Committee beginning in January – and he’s no Trump fan.
- Morningside Heights sits in State Assembly District 69 (nice). Democrat Daniel O’Donnell, Assembly member since 2003, won re-election with 92% of the vote (!). Fun fact: O’Donnell was the first openly gay politician elected to the NYS Assembly. He’s also Rosie O’Donnell’s older brother.
- We are also located in State Senatorial District, 30, represented by Brian Benjamin. Benjamin was also easily re-elected to a second term in the State Senate. Like most people with a brain, he strongly opposes calling South Harlem “SoHa.”
- Public Advocate Letitia James made history by becoming the first black woman elected New York Attorney General.
- And Andrew Cuomo won a third term as governor after defeating Cynthia Nixon (BC ’87) in the primary and Republican Mark Molinaro in the general election.
- New Yorkers voted on three proposals, and all of them passed.
- Question 1 asked if voters would like to amend the city charter to lower the amount a candidate running for city office can accept from one contributor from $5,100 to $2,000.
- Question 2 asked if voters were in favor of amending the city charter for the creation of a 15-member civic engagement committee which would “dedicated to enhancing civic participation and strengthening democracy in New York City.”
- Question 3 asked if voters were in favor of amending the city charter to limit the terms of a community board member to four consecutive two-year terms.
It was a good night for New York Democrats. Max Rose defeated incumbent Daniel Donovan to represent New York’s 11th congressional district, which includes Staten Island and parts of South Brooklyn. This means that all 34 congressional districts considered entirely urban are represented by Democrats, increasing the urban-rural political divide in our country. Democrats also now control all three branches of the state government, so expect to hear a lot more from Cuomo as he governs virtually unchecked.
And that’s it! The midterms are over, and we can all breathe a sigh of relief as we wait for 2020. Except someone’s already running.
voting via Bwog Archives
@Anonymous It will b so much fun when the US Senate subpoenas Hillary Clinton, Podesta Bros, Mike Sovern, Jon Cole and the Obamacher professulas who didn’t keep their promise to emigrate to China as organ donors
@Debbie Wasserman Schultz What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little Trumptard? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the DNC, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on the Republican party, institution of police as a whole, Clinton critics, and the concept of Christianity, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top people smuggler and pizza cook in the entire Democrat armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Soros-funded spies across the (((globe))) and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with a ping pong paddle. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the DNC and George Soros and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the (((globe))), you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
@State Assembly District 69 that’s the goddamn sex number lol
@Can't wait to see you snowflakes lose it when RBG retires and God Emperor Trump replaces her with Amy Coney Barrett.