CWB: Viral TikTok Potato Recipe
Senior Staff Writer Alyse Rovner puts TikTok star Jeremy Scheck’s potato recipe to the test…
Before we get on to the recipe, I thought I should let you all know that Kylie Jenner also liked this TikTok recipe. I guess you could say that we are #twinning.
Now onto the best potatoes I’ve ever made…
So here is what you will need:
- Potatoes (I used a mix of Yukon gold and red potatoes)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- A Pot (large enough to boil the potatoes)
- Baking Tray
- Large Spoon or Spatula
Step 1: Preheat the oven
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Boiling the potatoes but with a twist!
- Cut the potatoes up into even pieces and place them in a pot of cold water.
- Add a large pinch of salt (around 1-2 tbsps). This will build a vortex and season the potatoes from the inside out.
- Bring the pot of potatoes to a boil and cook until tender (should take around 10 to 20 mins depending on the size of the potato).
- Drain the potatoes and transfer them back into the pot.
- THIS IS THE CRUCIAL STEP: Stir the potatoes with the large spoon or spatula and smash them slightly to increase the surface area to volume ratio (this will make them more crispy in the oven!).
Step 3: Seasoning the potatoes!
- Transfer the slightly smashed potatoes to a baking tray and coat thoroughly with olive oil (they should all be covered but not drenched in oil).
- Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, and old bay!
- I didn’t measure this exactly but add enough to make sure each potato is seasoned–this is probably around 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of each.
- Use a spatula/large spoon to spread the seasoned potatoes evenly across the baking tray.
Step 4: Baking the potatoes and achieving that ASMR crisp <3
- Roast them in the oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit until they are golden brown and crispy. Be sure to keep an eye on them. Mine took about 15 minutes, but check them often so that they don’t burn!
- Turn off the oven, but keep the potatoes inside. Let the potatoes sit in the hot oven for an extra 5 to 10 minutes so that they become even crispier.
- Take them out of the oven and serve!
These were so incredible and perfectly crisp! An 11/10 in my book and so good that I DMed Jeremy Scheck on Instagram to thank him for sharing this delicious recipe! I’m sadly still waiting on a response, but in the meantime, you should all try out this recipe so that you too can twin with me and Kylie! Enjoy your Michelin star-worthy potatoes!
*I’m linking the TikTok video here again so that you can watch Jeremy Scheck make this recipe in its entire form. I did omit some ingredients because I didn’t have them, so go watch his viral video for more detail! And while you’re at it, go check out his other amazing videos.
potatoes via. Alyse