We are BACK with Science Fair, your guide to all (most) science happenings at Columbia’s digital nexus. If you want your event featured email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll put it in the next edition!
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory Open House at Home
- All day Monday – Thursday, click here for more details
- “Whether you’re an aspiring young scientist or a long-time science enthusiast, you’re sure to enjoy Lamont-Doherty’s Open House. Join us for virtual lab tours, participate in hands-on earth science activities with our scientists from home, and learn from world-renowned researchers about their latest discoveries.”
Seminar Series: Closing the Carbon Cycle: Pitfalls to Pathways
- Wednesday, October 21, 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM, click here for more information
- Professor Peter Eisenberger will be giving a lecture on carbon capture and the technology associated with it. Hosted by the Columbia Earth & Environmental Science Club.
Expert Panel: Covid-19 & National Security: What the pandemic exposed about bioweapons defense and preparedness
- Thursday, October 22, 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM, click here for more details
- “For decades, pundits and policymakers have warned of the possibility that a hostile state actor or non-state terrorist group might deploy a lethal pathogen against the population of their adversaries. The Covid-19 pandemic has brought these hypothetical fears closer to a discernable reality. Though Covid-19 is likely far less lethal than a would-be pathogenic bioweapon, the ravages of the virus has exposed just how unprepared most countries would be in the face of a major bio-attack. This panel will explore the types of bioweapons possessed or sought by hostile regimes and terror organizations, and the lessons we can draw from the Covid-19 outbreak to better prepare for and defend against such attacks.”
Is inequality toxic for public health agendas? Lecture by Dr. Gita Sen, Distinguished Professor and Director at The Ramalingaswami Centre on Equity and Social Determinants of Health (Public Health Foundation of India Yusuf Hamied Distinguished Lecture)
- Friday, October 23, 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM, register here
- About the lecture series: “The annual Yusuf Hamied Distinguished Lectures – one in Mumbai and one in New York City – honor outstanding individuals whose work has advanced our understanding of global health challenges.”
SNAZZY NEW HEADER by Shane Maughn